Getting a mash kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
Should I get electric or gas mash kettle and boiler? I can see electric being easier to control, but gas is currently a third of the price of electricity, however this might change. Kinda stuck on what to do. I want a mash and boil kettle with a tap, thermometer and false bottom for BIAB but unsure of what to go with and my budget is not very high, like £150 max.

gas is always cheaper than electricity but even at today's heady electricity prices the cost of the electricity for a brew is only a few quid. biggest thing to consider is if your electricity supply can handle it but if its for a mash tun then I suspect you're not looking at a particularly meaty heating element.

We have just released this kettle, perfect for BIAB and it wil expand with your brewing hobby if needs be.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/35l-10-us-gal-electric-stainless-steel-brew-kettle-2/
The one I have in mind is in fact a Malt Miller one, I have it in my basket along with a new bag and ingredients! I pretty much buy everything from you guys if I can haha, but I am looking at the 25L one rather than 35L due to my budget, and it will do what I need.

gas is always cheaper than electricity but even at today's heady electricity prices the cost of the electricity for a brew is only a few quid. biggest thing to consider is if your electricity supply can handle it but if its for a mash tun then I suspect you're not looking at a particularly meaty heating element.
For a short while due to being on meters, I think gas was more expensive. What I'm planning on getting is a mash and boil kettle. I previously owned the 35L Brewzilla with it's 1400kW total power use so we can handle it.

Latest posts

Back