Ghent or Bruges, where should I go?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swazi

Regular.
Reaction score
The wife and I are planning a weekend in Belgium. We were going to go to Bruges but a friend suggested Ghent too. As Belgian beer lovers, which city would be better? We'll only be there for one night so no chance of both.

Swazi said:
The wife and I are planning a weekend in Belgium. We were going to go to Bruges but a friend suggested Ghent too. As Belgian beer lovers, which city would be better? We'll only be there for one night so no chance of both.

Bruges; much loved by coach parties catering for senior citizens. Very quaint, but don't expect to walk anywhere at a reasonable pace or get a table in a restaurant during summer season.

That said I'm a fast walker, and will always choose the road less travelled ;)

I had several firends going to Bruges and they all said that the town is fantastic. They also said the the beer there is awesome.

I've travelled quite a lot around Belgium with business.
I think Brugges is better than Ghent personally and certainly from a beer and bars point of view.
Both are nice places, but I prefer Brugges.

Get a copy of the good beer guide to Belgium as well ;)

I took Mrs LB to bruges for her 30th this year. Absolutely fantastic city. I could not recommend it highly enough.

We took the car on the ferry from Hull. Went over on the Thursday and came back Monday.

There are so many place to see and things to do, it is very special.

I would defiantly recommend

bierbrasserie cambrinus

400 beers! The beer menu is that big it is wood bound! :D

2479666508_d952707250.jpg

and

't Brugs Beertje

We had lunch in Cambrinus and had the best roast chicken and fritesever. Very simple but done very very well.

Also give Café Vlissinghe a go. Not a great beer selection but it is the oldest cafe/bar in Bruges and has been open since 1515. It has a great atmosphere.

cafevlissinghe.jpg

It is also a very romantic city, nice long walks along the canals etc. :D

Whatever you do you will have a great time! :D

LB

Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards Brugge but a friend suggested Ghent was better, hence the question. I got a copy of good beer guide to belgium in the post yesterday and based on that, we are going to Ghent... It's the wifes first time to Belgiam (I've done a few beer runs) and they are her favourite beers. Really looking forward to it.
:thumb:

Ghent is a wonderful city. I'll dig out my travel book from last year and recomend afew places! There is a fantastic bar near the castle on the canal that served the best 2 hours of beer I have ever experienced (and I did travel the rest of the north of beligum including brugess). I'll look up the name for you.

We stayed in an eco hostel, a converted Dutch barge on the canal.. brilliant!

Also the bell tower is much more entertaining than then Bruges one.

However bruges is very beautiful. I think the best option is to go to Ghent.. and then vist again and do Bruges... and Luven, and Brussels and Antwerpen!!

The Mrs' Darcey has the book somewhere, infact im fairly sure it was a Library book... :oops:

Eco Hostel Androemda! Amazing a couple saved up and converted it in to a carbon neutral hostel. Cleanest hostel I have ever had the privilege to say at!
6129870632_882e8e8bd8.jpg

The public graffiti wall! Worth finding its off the main part by about 5 mins walk, some good bars around there too.
6129322239_822fe6a2e2.jpg

The ribs are fantastic.. and as you can see... so was the beer... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
6129870574_a9dc116213_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back