Good evening from Guildford

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stag

Reaction score
I have returned to brewing after a 20 year break. I happened to be driving through Aldershot one afternoon and spotted a homebrew shop in an industrial estate. I could not believe the quality of kit available so arrived home that evening (much to my wife's initial displeasure) with a Festival kit, king keg and FV.

Two years on I have progressed to a partial mash method that suits me right down to the ground. I, and my mates, think that the beer I produce is easily comparable with commercial beers. My favourite recipe I have developed is Landlord's ESB, which I am sure you have guessed is a more robust version of the famous northern brew.

One point I would like to make is what is all the fuss about American craft ale. I can stand it. Give me a Youngs or Fullers any day! These American ales taste like Head and Shoulders to me... I think there is an element of The Emperors New Clothes going on!!!

Stag

I have returned to brewing after a 20 year break. I happened to be driving through Aldershot one afternoon and spotted a homebrew shop in an industrial estate. I could not believe the quality of kit available so arrived home that evening (much to my wife's initial displeasure) with a Festival kit, king keg and FV.

Two years on I have progressed to a partial mash method that suits me right down to the ground. I, and my mates, think that the beer I produce is easily comparable with commercial beers. My favourite recipe I have developed is Landlord's ESB, which I am sure you have guessed is a more robust version of the famous northern brew.

One point I would like to make is what is all the fuss about American craft ale. I can stand it. Give me a Youngs or Fullers any day! These American ales taste like Head and Shoulders to me... I think there is an element of The Emperors New Clothes going on!!!

Stag

awesome! wel jel. I'm planning a visit there myself the next time I have to do the m25 6 o clock to nine o clock trip.

I never get as far as 9pm, I turn off at a3 or m3 and across country a bit to hit the m4 further along the road :-)

And good evening from Newcastle Stag. Glad you joined the forum.

It's a good place to swap ideas and get answers I find.

On the dislike for American craft beers - some people don't like those citrus notes. My wife gets 'cat pee' from them, not Head and Shoulders shampoo. :) I think it may be down to genetic differences. That isn't my idea - I read it somewhere.

Anyway - soon Clibit will be along to apply the ALL Grain indoctrination ... LOL ... worked on me. Never looked back, but that's what all brainwashed people say. :)

And........... Good evening!

Partial mash is alright by me. You got the grain. :thumb:

I like American beers. I like English beers. I like any beer tbh.

Don't rule out American hops. A lot of English cask ales use them now, often more subtly than you get in an American style ale, to great effect.

Variety is the spice of life, and that applies to hops, in spades.

Latest posts

Back