GrainFather Brew Day #24 - Stone Ruination

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe taken from IPA - Mitch Steele.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated FG: 1.012 SG
Estimated ABV: 7.8 %
Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 104.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
7.10 kg Pale Malt
0.43 kg Crystal, Light
66.0 g Columbus [15.9%] - 60 mins
1/4tsp Protafloc - 15 mins
38.0 g Centennial [9.0%] - Steep 30 mins
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (WLP007)
89.0 g Centennial [9.0%] - Dry Hop

Mash:
-----
64.0 C 60 min

I expected poor efficiency again so I added an extra 750g pale malt, pre boil was only 1.059 where as BrewSmith estimated 1.065 so I chucked in about 700g light DME to bump it up. When I took the OG reading I'd hit 1.074 so over compensated a bit and will now end up with a beer > 8% if it attenuates properly.

Brew went without a hitch, got my previous brew bottled before the mash finished and even had time to wrap some presents during the boil.

I've never tried the original Ruination, only v2 and Ruin 10 but if they're anything to go by this should be a very decent brew. The smell going in to the FV wasn't very hoppy but it was lovely and the dry hop should add to it nicely.

Fermentation was well under way this morning so all being well it'll be getting packaged in 2 weeks, don't think I'll use any Mini Kegs for this one tho! :drunk:

Why do you expect poor efficiency??? Should be a good brew.... a 'one bottle' then relax one....:drunk:

Because my last 6 brews (maybe more) have came out with a lower OG than expected...I'm putting it down to the crush from the supplier and have since ordered grains from elsewhere but this was using the last of the previous batch. If grains from somewhere else doesn't solve the issue I'm stumped.

Do you think the crush was to small or to big? The last brew i done the sparging was on the slow side due to the grain being a bit fine. i ended up pulling the top grill of and digging down thru the grain to move the grains stuck on the bottom grill whilst running sparge water down thru it. The mash was at 64c (grain kit recomended temp) but i ended up with 1060 instead of the target 1050, this was a grain kit i had that was pre crushed that has sat since the summer.

Because my last 6 brews (maybe more) have came out with a lower OG than expected...I'm putting it down to the crush from the supplier and have since ordered grains from elsewhere but this was using the last of the previous batch. If grains from somewhere else doesn't solve the issue I'm stumped.
Is your water treatment spot on (alkalinitywise)?

Is your water treatment spot on (alkalinitywise)?

I've only checked the last couple of batches but they've fallen between 5.2 & 5.6. I've also checked conversion is complete with iodine. Previous sparges have been really quick which is what makes me think it is the crush of the grain although that wasn't a problem last night presumably because of the quantity of grain.

maybe you need to buy a grain mill in the new year and be in control of the crush....that improved my efficiences no end.

Mmm Ruination and Ruin10 are two of the nicest IPAs I've had, and a surprisingly simple recipe too. I'm sure this'll be a belter.

My brew no 8 was based on Stone Ruination but substituted all the for others but came out at 8%.i had three bottles of HB that night and lights out.👍🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Looks like this had stopped at 1019 rather than 1012 which I think is because the mash temp went a bit high at the start probably because of the grain jacket. I've knocked it down to 17c so it might continue to ferment a little more but I doubt it.

Still, dry hopped last night and sampled this morning and it's fantastic even tho the dry hop has only had about 16 hours. Even tho it has finished high it isn't sweet and the bitterness hit is huge. Looking forward to tasting the finished result.

Greeting, I'm brand new to the forum and am reading thru this post. I used to get low OG before I started 1) crushing my own grains, 2) doing a 2-step Mash - Step 1: Mash grain at 50C for 30 minutes, Step 2: slowly raise Mash temp to 69C and hold for 30 minutes, Sparge with 76C. In addition to my grain bill, I typical add 454 g of Rice hulls to prevent a stuck Mash. (I use a false bottom in my Mash Tun)

Greeting, I'm brand new to the forum and am reading thru this post. I used to get low OG before I started 1) crushing my own grains, 2) doing a 2-step Mash - Step 1: Mash grain at 50C for 30 minutes, Step 2: slowly raise Mash temp to 69C and hold for 30 minutes, Sparge with 76C. In addition to my grain bill, I typical add 454 g of Rice hulls to prevent a stuck Mash. (I use a false bottom in my Mash Tun)

Hi 6ToedCat and welcome to the forum and thanks for your input.:thumb:

Bigcol49,

I have not heard of "conditioning" malt. Please explain the process.

On another note, in the US I use 20# propane tanks as a source of fuel for my 2 burners ... also my BBQ grill. Do you know if they (large propane tanks) are available in the UK ?

(pictured in right side)

brew system.JPG

I'm very pleased with how this has turned out, it's a touch sweeter than I'd like and it's not the same as ruination but a good brew nonetheless, surprisingly complex for such a simple recipe.

Latest posts

Back