Grainfather G30 V3 malt pipe in a V2 system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a Grainfather G30 V3 malt pipe in V2 system? I wonder if it’s possible as it seems an upgrade over the V2 malt pipe.

Now you've mentioned it ...

I long ago dispensed with the overflow pipework (and top "screen") in my V2 GF. The bottom "screen" I've attempted to fix permanently to the malt pipe. It has the disadvantage (not to me!) of only being used for full boil length (no-sparge) mashes and batches of about 18-22L. Even then I have to keep my eyes on the mash for the first 10-15 minutes, stirrer at hand, to ensure the mash doesn't clog up and the pump empties the space beneath the malt tube.

Using a "V3 malt tube" looks ideal! All the current "disadvantages" vanish. No silly central overflow pipework. Just great! I don't think there's anything much changed about the rest of the vessel?

Where do you get the V3 malt pipe upgrade? athumb..

Now you've mentioned it ...

I long ago dispensed with the overflow pipework (and top "screen") in my V2 GF. The bottom "screen" I've attempted to fix permanently to the malt pipe. It has the disadvantage (not to me!) of only being used for full boil length (no-sparge) mashes and batches of about 18-22L. Even then I have to keep my eyes on the mash for the first 10-15 minutes, stirrer at hand, to ensure the mash doesn't clog up and the pump empties the space beneath the malt tube.

Using a "V3 malt tube" looks ideal! All the current "disadvantages" vanish. No silly central overflow pipework. Just great! I don't think there's anything much changed about the rest of the vessel?

Where do you get the V3 malt pipe upgrade? athumb..
There’s a great video on the malt miller website / YouTube that shows the differences, the malt pipe is the big difference, has a rolled edge bottom plate, no more silicone seals, and doesn’t need a top plate at all. I think the extra perforations on the pipe will help with circulation and sparging, so I’m quite tempted. Malt miller says below they will get them back in stock over the next few weeks.

Not available yet! £130 isn't exactly encouraging ...
Flippin' heck. They are still not in stock, but they've bumped the price up to £170!

I've combatted this blatant money grabbing policy by the best means I could think of ... and purchased a G70R2 (well, I'm a real live loony and can act completely illogically if I want to!). 😁

@Keruso: My impatience and particular "needs" means I get a preview of "V3 malt pipe" for a G30 a bit sooner than advertised. Well ... I've got the G70, but I can say these fancy malt pipes will make a very good addition to a G30. I might even upgrade my G30 too (in a flash of over-exuberance).

BTW. a G70 seems to be specifically designed to do your back in! (They're a tad heavy!).

@Keruso: My impatience and particular "needs" means I get a preview of "V3 malt pipe" for a G30 a bit sooner than advertised. Well ... I've got the G70, but I can say these fancy malt pipes will make a very good addition to a G30. I might even upgrade my G30 too (in a flash of over-exuberance).

BTW. a G70 seems to be specifically designed to do your back in! (They're a tad heavy!).
I'm impressed and jealous of your G70 ! I don't think I can justify the spend with SWMBO, plus I thought you would need two people or a winch to lift the basket, I brew alone on the G30. I'd be interested to hear how the new basket performs, the G30 plates and silicon seals are a bit of a pain, plus giving the grain a stir during the mash is a pain, all of which the new design seems to solve.

Flippin' heck. They are still not in stock, but they've bumped the price up to £170!

I've combatted this blatant money grabbing policy by the best means I could think of ... and purchased a G70R2 (well, I'm a real live loony and can act completely illogically if I want to!). 😁
Oops! That was the G70 basket! If just had the notification that they're back in stock!

The G30 V3 basket is still £130 and out-of-stock (but I'm sure I'll be happy with my G70 system).

:coat:

Was looking at the V3 Malt Pipe as an upgrade now I am back brewing as I still hate the silicone rings etc and especially the clean up .
So the question is it worth the the price (Asronomical) or should I just save my money for something else at a later date ie as my G30 is years old but still going .

For me: They are worth the money! So much less mucking about.

But I'm "different"! Brew "Full Boil Length Mash" (no sparge). Have a G70 system so works like a modified G30 too (also have a 3V system currently out-of-service). I'm an incurable tinkerer (including happily bending the recipes to suit me). I spread the work (and clean up) over several days using "no-chill cube" technique (still being "tinkered" with). Oh aye, throw in "disabled" too (physically and, err, mentally).

My views might be out of step with some others. Most of them seem to be well out of step with me!

Latest posts

Back