Has my first attempt gone seriously wrong??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've got to get some bottles first.

I don't mind the odd pint of ale too.

Would a CO2 cap help?

about these priming sugar quantities....

Not sure what you mean by a c02 cap? Do you mean the keg lid?

Priming sugars for ales I go with 1/2 tsp per 500ml which gives the beer some 'life' with a lager you may want to use more (the qty I'm not sure) to get more 'fizz' :drink:

yeah, you use it as a keg lid but you put CO2 bulbs in.

Think i will bottle the next batch and leave it standing for a couple of months.

Right yes, the c02 bulbs will cost you a fortune as they don't give much or last long, i'd get a lid with an s30 adaptor (or have a go at fitting an s30 adaptor to the current lid) and buy an s30 cylinder, produced by hambleton bard most HBS's stock them (~£15 then ~£5 to get refilled) you can just then give it a 1 sec blast of c02 to prime with c02 ;) even with that though you will only get ale like 'lifeness' which for most is fine but if you want the desired fizz in the mouth then bottling is the way to go.

The good news is thats not expensive, I make turbo cider which need to be fizzy and I use the 500ml coke PET bottles they work a dream just keep them out of sunlight as the hops in beer don't like sunshine.

Hope thats of help :grin:

Cheers Wez,

Never thought of using plastic bottles. Should be able to get some of them easy enough. Will probably put them on the shed while I go away and should have some nice drinkable beer when I get home.

Will keep the thread updated to let you all know if and when the current batch clears.

Nice one, I work in an office where lots of people drink out of those bottles, I just put the word out and normally end up with about 10 a week :shock:

Also worth asking your ale drinking mates to wash their brown glass bottles out and pass them your way, get a crown capper and your away.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

And, as always any questions just ask here, we're a friendly bunch with some very experienced brewers in our ranks who like to help :cool:

Happy Brewing :cheers:

Another tip is to introduce your mates to the wonder that is Bernard Dark Pilsner .. . . And ask for the bottles, Nice 500ml Brown Swing tops - Available from toscos - but not the one in Blackpool ;)

could be protien haze. using irish moss at the end of the boil will get rid of this next time you try

Latest posts

Back