Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading this with interest as I have done quite a few kits now and want to try AG I have the grains and a 20 ltr pot so going to make the leap alongside my last kit coopers stout.
So here's my questions on a recipe for stout if you could cast your eye over it and see if it is correct please.
Maris otter 2.8kg
180gr crystal malt
180gr chocolate malt
180gr flaked oats
100gr roasted barley
66deg mash 60 mins
Boil 60 mins with
25gr challenger hops
The hops are ones I have but if this is not right I can buy the correct ones to make a stout and lastly will s-04 yeast be ok and how much should I add,
I was planning on 17 ltr out of that pot so how much water should I mash in and what should I be aiming for with a boil, I understand this has gone more than a simple ag as listed but thought I would dive in head first, any help greatly received wayne

The hops are ones I have but if this is not right I can buy the correct ones to make a stout and lastly will s-04 yeast be ok and how much should I add,
I was planning on 17 ltr out of that pot so how much water should I mash in and what should I be aiming for with a boil, I understand this has gone more than a simple ag as listed but thought I would dive in head first, any help greatly received wayne

The recipe looks fine, about 4.6% ABV with 75% mash efficiency. 70% would give 4.3%.

The stout won't be very roasty, with more chocolate than roast barley, smooth and chocolaty, and will be dark but not black.

The hops are ideal and you should get 30-35 IBUs, which is ideal bitterness.

For water, you will need to use a total of about 25 litres. If it was me I would use 10 litres in the mash and then sparge with 15. You'll need to work out a method to do this.

Thank you so much for your advice, for future reference what do I need to do to darken it up, I want to stick with one recipe at first and just tweak it so i can understand what changes what.
I will post my outcome good or bad lol, thanks again wayne.

To darken it use more roast barley or add black malt. That would also affect the flavour though, more bitter roast. Carafa would darken it with less flavour impact, but I don't tend to use it. Just add black malt at the sparging stage.

Thanks for replying, I'm wondering whether to start selling starter packs that provide all the equipment to make 5 and 10 litre simple AG brews.

YES!! Do it. Ebay is your friend here.

It will take a whole lot of grief out of the mix, like people buying the wrong sized pot. I suggest a 15l (not that you need any suggestions from me) because I regretted buying a 12litre one when I went on to do a few more brews. I found that 12l left me short o volume for a 10 litre finished brew. Anyway - just do it. There will be no shortage of takers if the forum will allow you to promote it. BEST thing I ever did in brewing was to read that thread and I know a lot of folk will say the same.

You could offer the basic Stock Pot, Bag, one ingredients kit of grain and hops,wirflock tablet, and then possible extra additions like thermometer, and hydrometer that some people will have and others not.

A new career there for you maybe. You are certainly in a good position to offer advice and assistance which often doesn't come from other suppliers and you have a platform here.

To darken it use more roast barley or add black malt. That would also affect the flavour though, more bitter roast. Carafa would darken it with less flavour impact, but I don't tend to use it. Just add black malt at the sparging stage.

Lord vader even though we are mortal enemies ;-) your AG dark side against extract plus hops and a few steeping grains I have to admire your command of the dark forces :twisted: but you'll never take me, never!

Lord vader even though we are mortal enemies ;-) your AG dark side against extract plus hops and a few steeping grains I have to admire your command of the dark forces :twisted: but you'll never take me, never!

Maybe not, but you will walk across all by yourself when the reality dawns across your beige extract plain. :lol:

Sooner or later DAD it will happen :lol::thumb: cracking pint mind but it should have been called goodnight:lol::lol:

You'll be on the AG soon. I went from kit to extract. Which was massive improvement then on the slippy slope to AG BIAB. I'm now told I need a new shed to expand to 3 vessels in the new year. All good!!

You'll be on the AG soon. I went from kit to extract. Which was massive improvement then on the slippy slope to AG BIAB. I'm now told I need a new shed to expand to 3 vessels in the new year. All good!!

I need a new house with a larger basement no way am i moving outside:rofl:

Latest posts

Back