Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok mate I have a huge gas ring that is calor gas I use it for a 3 foot paella pan.
So just need a big pan

Looking for a large stockpot, going to start AG after xmas with some demijohns I picked up.

Is a 15litre pan large enough - or should I bite the bullet and go to a 19L from the off?

How much beer will you want to make each time you brew?

I just bought 4 1 gallon demijohns from gumtree.

Was thinking of filling 2 at a time as a balance for experimenting and keeping SWMBO "happy".*

*I'm trying to sell smaller batches as less beer in the house for me to drink.

You'll get 9 litres in two demijohns. A 15 litre pan is big enough for this, I use a 15 litre pan for batches of this size. Though I have another pot for heating sparge water. A 19 litre pot would enable you to put all the water in the mash and keep things simple, without the need to sparge, so would be s good investment, I think.

Guys I'm confused I have looked at the �£285 kit above.
And at http://www.geterbrewed.com/biab-all-grain-starter-kit-includes-a-mash-kit/
Much cheaper. Obviously the 285 kit has a mash tun cool box style. What is the real benefit of expensive kit over cheaper one. Really don't get it. Please advise

the boiler may well be better quality - but I wouldn't pay £200 more for that kit myself. I'd get the BIAB set, and maybe add a mashtun at a later date. I bought an Igloo drinks cooler for about £25 and changed the tap, about another £10.

No you don't need one. The HBC kit comes with a mashing bag and you mash in the boiler, lift the bag out and rthen boil in the boiler.

With a mashtun, you mash in the mash tun, then drain the wort into a boiler for the boil. Saves messing about with big bags of grain, but not essential.

Thanks clibit. Thought it was something like that so the geterbrewed kit is good enough yes? Think I would rather that than big pot. And with the geterbrewed kit I can make circa 20 pint kits. I think I'm right in saying.
Last question. Where do you guys buy your grain hops etc.

How much if the average brew. I see all grain kits at circa £20. But a standard brew buying the bits stand alone roughly how much. I understand more technical brews will get more expensive.

Suppose it depends on how many hop types you use or grain types. I've just done a single hopped ale. Hops prob cost about £7. Grain similar and yeast about £3. But won't have used all the grains so could make another beer with a lot of them again. So prob about £15 to get roughly 40 pints. Bargain.

Back