Helix NZPA (Brewstore) and Saul Bass label

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispn

Regular.
Reaction score
Just got this kit brewed and in to ferment a couple of days ago. Its got New Zealand hops and is part of the Edinburgh Brew Store new all grain kits.

I also devised a label based on some classic Saul Bass designs.

Should be ready in a couple of weeks!

THBF-Photo.jpg

Hey!

The yeast was Safale US-05 and the hop was Wakatu - it also listed Pacific Gem but there are no times for this as a hop addition so I think they may have revised the recipe to being a single hop brew.

I'm still a bit new to all this :)

I've got a Brooklyn Brew kit (Everyday IPA) just bottled and will be trying it in a coupe of weeks too - it was smelling great as I bottled it!

That's going to be nice, I really like Wakatu, and US05 will give you nice hoppy beer.

I did an AG pale ale using wakatu, wai-iti and cascade hops with us05 and it was a really nice beer.

I'm looking forward to trying this one as the brew store kits are perfect for my small time operation and it looks like the guys there have put a lot of effort into these kits:)

I'm interested in trying it again with another yeast just to see the difference. As I said I'm new to AG so the change a yeast can make should be noticeable. Maybe try again with a White Labs but one step at a time!

I think I'll do their Stout next but make it a milk stout!

howyoubrewin:
If you have a 1gal recipe for that ale I'd be up for giving it a try. I'm gonna try and get a few brews done (and hopefully redone) for the Edinburgh Festival as I've some buddies coming over who are really getting into decent beer with flavour!

It is as follows.

1kg lager malt
40g Caramalt

Wakatu 3g @ 60 mins
Cascade 3g @ 60 mins
Wakatu 2g @ 45 mins
Cascade 2g @ 45 mins
Cascade 2g @ 20 mins
Cascade 2g @ 10 mins
Wai-iti 2g @ 10 mins
Wai-iti 2g @ 0 mins
Wai-itu 3g dry hop for 5days.

US-05 yeast ferment @ 20°
Mash for 60 mins @ 66°
IBU-46
Colour-5.7 SRM
OG-1051
FG-1013
ABV-5.1%

Its a hoppy as hell beer which I love so I hope you enjoy it too.

That looks good howyoubrewin. I would put some Wakatu in late/dry too myself. Great aroma hop.

I did think about doing that next time clibit so i will let you know how it turns out with some wakatu as a late addition.

Wakatu is designed to be used late rather than early. Wai-iti too. Cascade is good at all stages. There are no rules though, do whatever you like of course.

Brewstores all grain kits don't seem to be listed on their site yet?

Thanks guys for both the recipe and advice. I'll get this one on next week - I've four carboys that we found in the girlfriends flat when she moved in and I got an igloo 2gal cooler which works a treat as a mash tun.

Latest posts

Back