Hello from a green AG brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRegent

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I started brewing about 4 years ago with cider due to a huge apple tree in the garden and lots of apples that would otherwise be chucked.

I also did a few kits (St Peter's Golden Ale was a good one and a couple of Wilko kits) but lost interest as the quality seemed to decline (with hindsight I think that was because I was using poorer kits and I also didn't understand the life support that pressure barrels needed).

Like many others, lockdown has got me back into it. Started off with a couple of Wilko kits again but I got sucked into HBB and have now skipped extract brews and gone straight to AG using BIAB in a Klarstein Fullhorn, a cheap tea urn to heat the sparge water separately and a 5L jug for the vorlauf and sparging. All electric and all done outside. I'm quite pleased with the efficiency of the process I've worked out so I might do a write up of the Fullhorn as I've been impressed with it for the money. I've done two AG brews so far - the Summer Ale and the Raspberry Wheat Beer from HBB and I've hit the OG in the book both times so I was pleased (and surprised!) about that. The Summer Ale is still conditioning, but I've not been able to stop myself from having a few glasses. A massive improvement on the kits and genuinely delicious.

Hope everyone is safe and well and brewing happily.

It's good to hear that it's working out for you. One of the joys of brewing is becoming familiar with a process that you enjoy and makes you good beer. You must be doing something right this time round if you're hitting the numbers bang on.

Did you stick with the pressure barrels or shift to bottling or kegs?

Did you stick with the pressure barrels or shift to bottling or kegs?

Still using the pressure barrels as I now know much more about maintenance and the need to replace the seals regularly. The raspberry is still fermenting and I plan on bottling that as it will be nice to give away but I also don't think I will drink it quick enough to put it in a barrel. I'm doing an Old Ale next which needs a long conditioning time and I'm not confident it will keep well in a PB for the many months it needs to condition, so I will bottle that too. I've got some PET bottles as the stories of bottle bombs makes me nervous with young kids in the house.

Latest posts

Back