Hello from Leicestershire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to Home Brewing. Love ale. The darker and more complex the better.

I've always been a fan of bottle conditioned ales and have a decent collection of some very obscure ones, but really wanted to make my own.

I'm a long way off making an Imperial Stout, but am working on it...

Looking forward to sharing experiences with you all.

Llama

Hi Dave,

I'm in Ellistown, near Ibstock.

A very nice little area.

Yourself?

Ah Oadby, not too far away. But Marmite, you're even closer!

Will check out the website, thanks for the tip!

I'm a long way off making an Imperial Stout, but am working on it...

There is a good Russian Imperial Stout Recipe here they also have a store where you can buy all the ingredients required its priced in AUS Dollars but orders over $50 are free delivery ($47.25 or £25.99 ish + VAT = £31.19) but am sure you could add something to make it go over. You may have to pay import tax though either way if you do order from there let me know how you get on and the process works.

I'm new here too, but if the so called "senior members" treat new members like that can't see me lasting much longer.

that website says 3 months to mature-thats a long time isn't it?

As a general rule of thumb the stronger the beer the longer it needs to mature. Based on that I would think 3 months was reasonable.

Its lets harsh tastes mellow and and desired deeper fuller tastes develop, I guess you could use the same analogy pickling onions it takes time for the onions to take on the vinegar.

I would never use gravy browning to add darkness to beers although I believe its made from mainly mollasses.

Gravy browning went out with the arc. It provides colour but nothing else
Try some carafa special from Malt Miller. This provides favour and colour with the smoothness you get from being de-husked. I use this all the time and it's worked in competitions.

Three months to mature a RIS is about right.You can always brew something lighter to keep you going

When I looked at Imperial Stouts, it had 6 months primary and a further 12 months in bottle. I don't have the patience for that!

Never heard of using gravy in a beer though... That sounds like it would be very odd. Though a do like a nice ale with my roast beef dinner!

Thanks for the web link smiley, will check it out!

Latest posts

Back