hello from steve in birmingham

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVEMO1

Reaction score
hi im a beginner to homebrew world and have only made 2 beers from kits one was a john bull bitter and i have also done coopers real ale
i have just started a coopers australian lager both of the above i have been fairly happy with the real ale i left in the fv for longer than instructions say around 10 days and found this was better is this ok to do? as the larger kit will be in fv for around 2 weeks as im away on holidays before i bottle.
as a newbie any tips to improve these kits would help without the costs going to mad.
i read on here alot about spraymalt but unsure on how to use any help would be appreciated

steve

howdy. where you from? I'm down in longbridge.

10 days is a safe bet for a beer about 4%-5%. Fermentation will take 1-4 days, then you need to leave it a few more days after fermentation to let the yeast clean up. Some people add fining agents after fermentation so that it clears out ready to be bottled or kegged :)

2 weeks you'll be okay with too. Just don't open the lid unless absolutely neccessary, as you'll need the cloud of co2 that fermentation creates to protect the beer while you're away.

Spraymalt is just malt extract, the base of a beer basically. Use it in place of sugar and you'll have a lot more body to your beer. Maybe not so good for thin lagers, but certainly for ales it'll improve the quality massively. shop around before you buy, prices range from £2 500g to £4.50 500g! And remember, the best thing you can do to improve your beer is give it time to mature, so get a few on and forget about them ;)

all strange folk from the other isde ( motorway that is) are yam yams because when you offer them a pork scratching they ar yam yam or instead of good morning how are you they go " yam allrite" there fore they are called yam yams,

mate, belive me you ant a brummie if you dont know what a yam yam is, your say nect that you dont understand the claret and blue and bluenoses jokes next !!

i live in halesowen so i kind of live in the middle but im a brummie at heart a true blue nose lol not a yam yam

thanks for the advise rob will give spray malt ago next time
RobWalker said:
howdy. where you from? I'm down in longbridge.

10 days is a safe bet for a beer about 4%-5%. Fermentation will take 1-4 days, then you need to leave it a few more days after fermentation to let the yeast clean up. Some people add fining agents after fermentation so that it clears out ready to be bottled or kegged :)

2 weeks you'll be okay with too. Just don't open the lid unless absolutely neccessary, as you'll need the cloud of co2 that fermentation creates to protect the beer while you're away.

Spraymalt is just malt extract, the base of a beer basically. Use it in place of sugar and you'll have a lot more body to your beer. Maybe not so good for thin lagers, but certainly for ales it'll improve the quality massively. shop around before you buy, prices range from £2 500g to £4.50 500g! And remember, the best thing you can do to improve your beer is give it time to mature, so get a few on and forget about them ;)

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

I have been making the Coopers kits for a couple of yrs now & never had a bad brew.

I love the Australian lager, am half way through a batch i made in January with another 40 bottles in the garage ready for the euros!

Happy brewing mate.

so there are people who know what yam yams are then so its not just me, phew i was getting worried then, my lot are robin hood island born and bred, my dads lot, come from sparkhill when it was still white and i an now running the gaunlet by living but soon to move at smethwick, but in my defence i would like to point out that i can see the bearwood boarder crossing from the house :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back