Hello from sunny Stockport

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metacomet

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been lurking for a while, but have finally found time to post a greeting.
I've only been brewing since April but have already caught the bug :thumb:

My first kit was the Tiny Rebel Cwtch, a beer I have enjoyed many a time, but for the me the kit really didn't deliver what I wanted. I didn't want to just brew beers someone else had created, I wanted to make my own, so from the second brew onward I went all grain using the BIAB method.

7 or 8 brews in and I'm surprised at how palatable my beers have been, not perfect* but better than some I've drunk in pubs, and paid a lot more per pint for.
Each of my beers so far has been different...over excitement at having so many option, but now I've got that out of my system I'm ready to start working on my recipes and technique. Just last night I made the ugliest wort chiller you may have ever seen, but it should work a lot better than putting the kettle in the kitchen sink.

I'd also like to thank all the members who's information I have absorbed, and who's recipes I have taken inspiration from. I would thank you all personally but I can't remember who gave me which gem so :cheers: to everyone.

(* bar my first attempt at a porter, which is actually one of the nicest porters I've had, and will be making again to almost exactly the same recipe)

Hi all

I've been lurking for a while, but have finally found time to post a greeting.
I've only been brewing since April but have already caught the bug :thumb:

My first kit was the Tiny Rebel Cwtch, a beer I have enjoyed many a time, but for the me the kit really didn't deliver what I wanted. I didn't want to just brew beers someone else had created, I wanted to make my own, so from the second brew onward I went all grain using the BIAB method.

7 or 8 brews in and I'm surprised at how palatable my beers have been, not perfect* but better than some I've drunk in pubs, and paid a lot more per pint for.
Each of my beers so far has been different...over excitement at having so many option, but now I've got that out of my system I'm ready to start working on my recipes and technique. Just last night I made the ugliest wort chiller you may have ever seen, but it should work a lot better than putting the kettle in the kitchen sink.

I'd also like to thank all the members who's information I have absorbed, and who's recipes I have taken inspiration from. I would thank you all personally but I can't remember who gave me which gem so :cheers: to everyone.

(* bar my first attempt at a porter, which is actually one of the nicest porters I've had, and will be making again to almost exactly the same recipe)

Porter is a very "forgiving" style and is hard to cock up TBH. Every one I have made has been memorable amongst other styles. I would think that its popularity in times long gone by is due to its intrinsic resilience to cock ups, which during its period of popularity, would have been much harder to avoid.

Here is an outline recipe for 23L:

Pale 5,3kg
Brown 0.7kg
Crystal 0.5kg
Chocolate 0.25kg

Any bittering hop to 40 IBU's.

Welcome to the forum. If your looking for any feedback on your beers of any help with anything. Or just a **** up (that's my favorite part) come along to Manchester homebrew club we meet up at Cafe beermoth 3rd Sunday of the month 3pm, everyone welcome regardless of skill or experience.

Porter is a very "forgiving" style and is hard to cock up TBH. Every one I have made has been memorable amongst other styles. I would think that its popularity in times long gone by is due to its intrinsic resilience to cock ups, which during its period of popularity, would have been much harder to avoid.

Here is an outline recipe for 23L:

Pale 5,3kg
Brown 0.7kg
Crystal 0.5kg
Chocolate 0.25kg

Any bittering hop to 40 IBU's.

I had read it's very forgiving, and I know tastes are very personal, but I've had some atrocious porters in pubs. It was nice thinking I did a better job (for me at least) than a professional brewery.
My recipe is very similar and managed to get the chocolate level just right without any of the ashtray smokiness you sometimes get.

Welcome to the forum. If your looking for any feedback on your beers of any help with anything. Or just a **** up (that's my favorite part) come along to Manchester homebrew club we meet up at Cafe beermoth 3rd Sunday of the month 3pm, everyone welcome regardless of skill or experience.

Hi Stig
I have the group on my Twitter feed. I wanted to go last weekend but then had to entertain a visiting friend instead.
I'll be trying to get along to one very soon though.

Argh shame you missed a good one, something like 25 different beers between us, and a few cheeky ones downstairs afterwards I was a bit wobbly walking back for the train.

Latest posts

Back