hey all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpysmurf

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Iam a total newbie and just starting out in this ultimate money saving hobby .
I have just set of my first brew last week I chose turbo cider as it sounded easy.
I used 4 litres of apple juice
500g sugar
Young yeast nutrition
Young wine yeast super compound
After 24 hours nice froth which went after 3 days and was just fizzing since and still is now .
I don't have any proper gear yet
So no air lock lid is screwed on but not air tight hear gas escape. and no hydrometer yet .
Any tips on bottling and carbonate.
Also what strength will I potentially achieve.
Many thanks all.😊

Hello and welcome to the forum.
First off you need a hydrometer, when the reading is down to about 1.010 or its been steady for 3 of 4 days you can bottle.
Wilko's sell plastic PET bottle's or you can get them online, try doing an Ebay search.
If you want carbonated then add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle before filling, make sure your bottles are clean and sanitized before hand. Because you didnt use a hydrometer to obtain a starting gravity its hard to say what ABV your gonna end up with, i'd guess around 7-8%

If you are going to carbonate you need to use bottles designed to hold pressure i would use sparkling spring water bottles as they are readily available and you can also use the water to make your cider.

If your making 1 uk gallon batch and there is approx 100g of sugar per litre in your apple juice, then you could end up with an alcohol content of between 10-11%

I am a total newbie and just starting out in this ultimate money saving hobby .

If you stick to wine and cider you should be OK if you get into brewing in a big way the money saving part of this hobby may take a back seat for a while.

Welcome, please consider what Davemac said, that could be one very potent cider you have on the go there, 500g sugar + 400g of sugar in the apple juice = :electric:

I'd be inclined to rack it and water it back down a bit once it's fermented, without knowing the starting gravity it's hard to tell what the actual strength will be.

Latest posts

Back