Hi from Brighton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Forum.
We have forum sponsors if you search the forum is a place to start, it all depends on what items you want as some members use more than one supplier depending on whether its is grains, hops, yeast etc

Kits are a great way to start. You can get everything you need from wilko, but will be better off from either a local homebrew shop if you are lucky enough to have one, or hit up on of the forum sponsors.

I've not brewed a bad kit yet (though the lager ones are my least favourite), what sort of beer are you looking for brew?

Kits are a great way to start. You can get everything you need from wilko, but will be better off from either a local homebrew shop if you are lucky enough to have one, or hit up on of the forum sponsors.

I've not brewed a bad kit yet (though the lager ones are my least favourite), what sort of beer are you looking for brew?
I've been researching but like every new hobby, there's more questions than answers! I originally started looking at a graifather G30, then Klarstein, brewzilla etc. still no closer!

Beer-wise, american pale ale, pilsner...

I've been researching but like every new hobby, there's more questions than answers! I originally started looking at a graifather G30, then Klarstein, brewzilla etc. still no closer!

greetings,

plastic fv and a kit cheapest way to get started. (just in case you do a bruintuins wink... and decide its not for you) - Start keeping any bottles you've emptied for refilling with your brew.

In addition to the aforementioned, if you want to start with all grain kits ( and as you talk about some all-in-one systems, perhaps you do) then consider Crossmyloof. They do some great kits and free postage.
https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/beer-recipesIf you haven't done so already, may I suggest (strongly) that you get a homebrewing book by, for example, Graham Wheeler or Greg Hughes and read it from cover to cover. Then read it again. They deal with beers made from extract, from partial mash and finally with all grain. You need to recognise the field of your enterprise even though you won't understand it all at first.

Good luck, some lovely American pale kits out there.

All grain is great fun and not too complex, but easy to start spending a lot of money, but worth every penny in my opinion ;)

Hi Rusky,
You are just up the road a bit from me (sunny Bognor)
My advice would be start easy with plastic fermentation buckets, readily available kits, and maybe a pressure barrel. There is a really good thread about PB's somewhere on here by @Hazelwood Brewery that helped me no end (hopefully he'll be along soon to point you to it)
Anyway, good luck 👍

Hi Rusky,
You are just up the road a bit from me (sunny Bognor)
My advice would be start easy with plastic fermentation buckets, readily available kits, and maybe a pressure barrel. There is a really good thread about PB's somewhere on here by @Hazelwood Brewery that helped me no end (hopefully he'll be along soon to point you to it)
Anyway, good luck 👍
That’s easy 😉

If you’re thinking about trying a pressure barrel @ruskythegreat you might find this thread helpful…

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/

Hello and welcome. I started 2 years ago. It has been brilliant. I loved the whole learning process. I researched loads and watched loads of YouTube video's. There is so much information out there and this forum along with all the fantastic members have been of great knowledge, experience and support. Everyone here is very friendly. I started with a very basic starter kit set up. Two plastic 30 litre fermentation buckets and the usual bits and bobs, but I kept it cheap and simple. I'm still using a very basic set up and it works perfectly. I've made 23 kits so far including one wine and one cider kit. The results have been great. The quality of kits is great and I've enjoyed them all. Recently I have moved onto Full Extract Kits and these have turned out as amazing beers. I'm now a Full Extract convert. Even with this I didn't need anything extra, I have a 9 litre stock pot at home that along with my basic set up has served me well. I bottle all my beers in 500ml glass bottles. So you don't need anything fancy.

+1 to the suggestion to get a good book eg wheeler or hughes (and there are others). Will give you a really good grounding
Indeed there are others. Avoid American publications at first. They're excellent but use different units of measure. Pints and gallons instead of litres. Their pints and gallons are different to imperial measures. They tend to work in pounds and ounces, which, if you weren't brought up with them can be fun. They call some of their malts differently and they measure colour in degrees lovibond while we use ebc.
Once you've found your feet, though, the likes of Mosher, Papazian and others are really a great read.

I am new as well. Nearly at the stage when I have the minimal knowledge to start buying equipment.

Just to get to this stage it took me months, continuous reading, video watching asking. Time by time I had to take a rest as it's so overwhelming. I wanna know everything but obviously this isn't something that we will learn quick, especially if there is zero experience or knowledge in this field.

I personally decided to skip the extract stovetop experience as many suggested. Many people explained it's is possible to start with aio electric systems and they wished they started that way.

Keep reading, write down your questions. Look into making beer as their individual phases, mashing, boiling etc.

It is a very complex process from recipe making to kegging which makes it very interesting for me. I like the learning part and soon there will be actual practice put into the learned theories.

I am still learning and there is soooooo many thing that ai could not explain what is what and why.

Step by step. Eventually there will be own beer 😂👍

Don't give up

Latest posts

Back