Hi, Im new and I brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizz head1982

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey!

Started about 10 years ago when I was broke and decided to make some god awful solomon grundy wine kits... Well they were awful when I did them... Have you ever had a sparkling red wine? :party:

Recently in March I started 4 gallons of mead on the brew as I got back into it. Partly because of finances and partly cos I like to have real skills. Not just watch Eastenders and big brothers got talent or what ever any watches... I stopped watching tv 3 years ago... Saved myself 450 quid already!

Anyway, this mead was easy and it tastes great! :thumb:

So I made some more, thing is it takes about 6 months to make a batch and it comes out about £2.50 a 70cl bottle. So its cheap but its not a weekly thing... So I decided to do some beer. I researched my back side off and thought I knew what I was doing... :sulk:

However inventing your own recipe as your first is not a good idea, it was a partial grain brew with a coopers dark malt extract and a spray malt thrown in. So after 2 weeks I drank 10 pints of this "Stout" I made and I didn't even feel giddy... :rofl: well sod i thought... Full grain here i come.

Finally after some major hold ups got my mash tun and things ready nearly a week behind schedule.

I had been searching for a lager recipe on google and found this place:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18994

I followed the recipe by Aleman on the 7th post.

However the 1kg of flaked rice was rather expensive, as much as the 4kg of lager malt so i opted for the bag of sugar. I could also not find the hops readily available, so I exchanged Northern brewer for challenger hops, they have the same alpha... and some fresh goldings finishing hops in a tea bag for the tettnang and omitted the mittlefruh...

Looking at this now I see an error. I used 100g of Challenger, not 25! :doh: It's really dry stuff, not like the other foil wrapped stuff. I hope this makes a difference! :nah:

Anyway, this all took me along time today and I was quite proud of myself. :clap: Untill I saw the hydrometer reading... It reads 1.092! I thought maybe the hydrometer was broken so I checked some tap water and it reads 1.004... :electric:

There are no bubbles on my meter and the wort is 26c and calibrated for 20c.

I used rain water, filtered and boiled for the bulk of my water, only about 6 litres of tap... Could this have an effect? :hmm: The reason i did this is the tap water here is aweful... my cats drink out of the pond instead!

Is this some kind of traditional IPA I have to water down or something? :wha:

Erm yea... so... Hi and can you guys help me? :grin:

Hi and welcome. I take it you have gone for Tony's 25lt recipe. If so can see how you can get that gravity with those ingredients, how much beer did you end up with.

Aleman fixed it for me, I just watered it down. I just hope it doesnt go throffy and explode! - Or i'll be a dead man. :shock:

Thanks for your help guys, this is 1st rate! :hat:

What do you think to the hops? 100 gram of dried instead of 25 of dried or fresh? - I dont know what its supposed to be.

What is the origin of the hops. When you say fresh do you mean they have been grown at home rather then shop or internet bought.

They are from my local brew shop, they look dried, they are off green almost grey shredded bits...

Latest posts

Back