Hoddy vs. dan125 brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Back at the start of December @Leon103 sent @Hoddy and myself an amazing beer brewed with the Imperial Dry Hop yeast strain, along with a vial of the yeast.

The beer had an incredible pineapple cube / ripe orange character from the yeast which (I hope I'm remembering correctly as it was a while and several beers ago) we both thought would work really well in a gold to dark gold malty sweet beer that wasn't loaded with crystal - Simpsons Imperial malt & caramalt were agreed could be used to get somewhere close to this.

I thought a piney hop character would well with the yeast, and Hoddy thought a tropical fruity hop charcter would work well, and so the challenge was on - use the yeast and the 2 malts with hops of choice and see what we could come up with.

Fast forward till now and we're both ready to brew up our ideas at the weekend. We haven't shared any other recipe info with each other until now, other than hop choices, but as the recipes are now settled on, here's what I'm brewing.

upload_2019-1-29_20-34-54.png

upload_2019-1-29_20-42-35.png

I might switch the 2 min addition to a 75C steep depending on initial tasting of the AIPA I'm kegging in a couple of days.

I think a nice smooth mouthfeel will suit the beer well, so after the discussion on the Verdant Putty thread I am gonna try adding extra Calcium Chloride to the boil for the first time, as well as a more chloride heavy profile than usual to start with in the mash.

Really looking forward to brewing this and tasting the two beers. Hoping they're as good as the beer Leon sent us.

Spill the beans Hoddy - what are you brewing?

I like this idea although when I first saw the post I thought it was going to be a collaboration.
That is going to be some dry hop flavour and aroma!!!
What’s the difference with adding Calcium Chloride to the boil rather than the mash? Is just about the mouthfeel?

Not tried the malt miller BBC hops yet.
Had them in a few Cloudwater beers. Pity he doesn't have Citra BBC

Waw someone is going big on the hops. That recipe looks amazing.
Thanks mate. No point leaving half used packets of hops about :laugh8:
I'm sorely tempted to use the whole Kg of Imperial malt, was just a bit worried about it being too dark

I like this idea although when I first saw the post I thought it was going to be a collaboration.
What’s the difference with adding Calcium Chloride to the boil rather than the mash? Is just about the mouthfeel?
Hopefully it should have a good hop hit.
I'm hoping the extra chloride in the boil will help create the velvety mouthfeel that is so elusive. I've tried very low s/c ratios in the mash before, but I think I heard/read somewhere (maybe on the putty thread, or from Hoddy) that chloride can be used up in the mash, so its worth a try.

Not tried the malt miller BBC hops yet.
Had them in a few Cloudwater beers. Pity he doesn't have Citra BBC
I've tried the cascade & chinook before, both were good - not really any more pungent but had a nice fresh/bright aroma.
I do want to try the citra though

Hopefully it should have a good hop hit.
I'm hoping the extra chloride in the boil will help create the velvety mouthfeel that is so elusive. I've tried very low s/c ratios in the mash before, but I think I heard/read somewhere (maybe on the putty thread, or from Hoddy) that chloride can be used up in the mash, so its worth a try.
You are correct that chlorides are absorbed and you "lose" some of that from the enzymatic process that happens during the mashing process.

So wheres my recipe.....

I've tried the cascade & chinook before, both were good - not really any more pungent but had a nice fresh/bright aroma.
I do want to try the citra though

The BBC Centennial hops i used in a beer recently (that i yet to swap with anyone) is OFF THE SCALE GREAT in my book. I have BBC Chinook and Columbus to use up in a beer very soon.

Ok so here is mine....... (Late to the party as usual)

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.14.26.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.14.51.png

Unfortunately I couldn't get both shots of my BS recipe into one screen shot. Everyone see that ok?

So i have gone all old school and west coast with my beer, but with a bit of a juicy nod with the juice yeast and a slightly higher than normal s/c ratio that you would get with an west coast beer. I want this beer to be juicey, but also refreshing. Hence why its only 4.8%. I might up the dry hop quantities if i have enough. But like Dan i dont want to leave any packets half used. While maintaining the balance i want to achieve from the hop combo.

I am also mixing a few hops that i have wanted to try mixing for a while now as well. So in conjunction with the imperial that i haven't used before, and the hop combo, this will be a very interesting "head to head" brew comp.

Last edited:
Who’s to say this won’t be followed by a collaboration........ now that would be a laugh with @dan125 or any of our frequent swappers.

We've both gone for similar %ages of the Imperial & caramalt and I do like the look of your hop combo, azzacca & mosaic are two of my favs, but never used calypso before - will be really interesting to see how they play out in the 2 beers.
And it might make an interesting comparison between the water profiles too. I'm gonna use way more Ashbeck than usual and start with an unprecedented (for me) s/c ratio of 0.1 in the mash:

upload_2019-1-31_6-39-51.png

Then add another 100ppm chloride to the boil

Back