Hoddy vs. dan125 brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190204_064839-1.jpg

Fermentation is well underway this morning, hoping the krausen doesn't grow any more than this!

Wow that's got away really quick
I was a bit worried that I didn't have much yeast in my starter, so I took out about 750ml of fresh wort after the start of the boil, cooled it quickly, and whacked this on the yeast (after pouring away the spent starter wort). It had a good couple of hours with lots of shaking to wake up the yeast and get as much O2 into it as possible before pitching. Seems to have got it off to a good start.

View attachment 17706
I’m loving my new ph meter I got myself with the excess amazon vouchers at Christmas. I don’t know about everyone else but the cheapy yellow one just is so unreliable it was driving me mad. So I invested in this one, temp compensation, water cap to keep the electrode good. Loads of other bells and whistles. Love it.

Ph was down after mash in and on proteinase step. Added another 3ml of CRS to correct

I lost my temper and smashed mine. Total ****. How much was yours?

I was a bit worried that I didn't have much yeast in my starter, so I took out about 750ml of fresh wort after the start of the boil, cooled it quickly, and whacked this on the yeast (after pouring away the spent starter wort). It had a good couple of hours with lots of shaking to wake up the yeast and get as much O2 into it as possible before pitching. Seems to have got it off to a good start.
Now that's a clever idea to get the yeast to stabilize and go through the lag phase real quick before getting onto the whole batch. I might try that myself.

Checked mine this morning and it has made a start with what i call a "fairy ring" of krausen starting to form around the edges and the middle. Set the spunding valve to 0.4 bar and it should be all good and underway when i get home. Temp control set to 18oC for the next 3 days and then i will start a slow ramp up 0.5oC per day to the end of fermentation.

Last edited:
I lost my temper and smashed mine. Total ****. How much was yours?

It was £51 from amazon. But i came to the conclusion that if i am going to do it properly then there is no point messing around. Also i found that there inst really any middle ground on ph meters. Either it is a £4 one or they start at about £45 and the one i got it a good solid sound one with loads of extra features for not bad money considering.

Its the fact it temp compensates, tells you when its got a stable reading, auto detects water/wort, has a water tight cap so it keeps moist and doesn't fur up, and then tells you when it thinks it needs re calibrating sells it for me.

What pressure are you running at? You always seem to have a bit of a creeper of a Krausen always trying to climb out.

I tend to start all my beers off without any pressure these days - think I read somewhere (maybe on here??) that it can potentially inhibit yeast growth at the every beginning of fermentation. Did they say anything about this on your course?
Plus I didn't want to supress any ester production on this one, hoping for the yeast character to come through.

20190205_184330-1.jpg

Think I'm out of the krausen danger zone now.
It's up at 20C and showing the first early signs of slowing down a bit.

5 days in and it seems more or less done. Its fermented out quicker than other recent brews - maybe because its been a couple of degrees hotter than usual or maybe its just the yeast??
Think I'll give it another couple of days up at 23C then cool it down a bit to drop the yeast out.

Attachments

• 20190208_191022-1.jpg
    20190208_191022-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 59
Checked in again on mine today and it looks like it's still going strong. Not as a big krausen as earlier in the week but it's still turning over quite actively and producing co2.

I did start mine fermenting at 18oC at 0.5 bar for the first 3 days and then it's been at 20oC since then so that could be why it's still going as I made it ramp up slowly at the start.

I will drop it down to 2oC when it's fermented out and pull the yeast cake off so it's all dropped out and then dry hop with maybe two rumble cycles over the 7 day dry hop.

5 days in and it seems more or less done. Its fermented out quicker than other recent brews - maybe because its been a couple of degrees hotter than usual or maybe its just the yeast??
Think I'll give it another couple of days up at 23C then cool it down a bit to drop the yeast out.

It does look like we have very similar colours going on

Checked in again on mine today and it looks like it's still going strong. Not as a big krausen as earlier in the week but it's still turning over quite actively and producing co2.

I did start mine fermenting at 18oC at 0.5 bar for the first 3 days and then it's been at 20oC since then so that could be why it's still going as I made it ramp up slowly at the start.

I will drop it down to 2oC when it's fermented out and pull the yeast cake off so it's all dropped out and then dry hop with maybe two rumble cycles over the 7 day dry hop.

I've been dry hopping at around 10-12C for the last couple of hoppy brews but was interested to see on the Putty thread that cloudwater seem to rise the temp back up for dry hopping - might try that this time and just give it one good rumbling after a day or two.

So this Fermentation has been noticeably different to most recent brews.
I know the dry hop yeast is a blend of two strains and I reckon they have very different flocculation characteristics.
After fermentation I had just over a bottle of thick gloopy yeast settled (much less than usual) but the beer still had the milky appearance shown in the previous pic or two posted

20190211_212239-1.jpg
I've saved this bottle for the next brew but i suspect it's mainly the barbarian strain from the blend

20190214_212221-1.jpg

Fast forward a few days and the beer is down at 12C and the less flocculant half of the yeast is relutant to settle

20190215_181941-1.jpg

Which brings me to today. Now down at 6C at its still doesn't want to settle out.
I wanted to get this dry hopped and carbed by the end of next week - looking unlikely now.

Latest posts

Back