Home brew supplies near Cardiff?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I prefer to go and buy supplies somewhere so I have been looking for home brew suppliers near me in South Wales. I actually work in Cardiff part of thr week so assumed it would be easy to find a supplier somewhere in the city, but there doesn't seem to be any independent suppliers I can find.

There is a small store in Pontypridd, but none coming up on Google for Cardiff, which I find quite surprising.

Of course there is Wilko, but they seem to be out of stock of everything in all stores and there is the Range, but that seems to also have stock issues, plus I would prefer to buy from an independent small business.

Is there anywhere in or around Cardiff where there is a shop that sells basic equipment and kits, other than the single one I have found in Pontypridd? Pete's I think that one is called.

Thanks

Not that I have found. I use on line 100% now (have considered opening one myself on times !!)
Go for it, I would shop there!

Its quite surprising really that there isn't any, well there is one in Pontypridd but I haven't been there yet, so not sure if they have much, I think it's also a whole foods style store in the high street so may not have much.

May have a look later this afternoon and report back.

There was one in Barry some time ago, don't know if it's still open

Unfortunately I don't think bricks and mortar shops can compete with the large on line retailers in the current market with rates etc... I would happily support a local business , even if a bit more expensive BUT I don't think I would last long of it was just you and me buying wink...

Yes I would do the same and if you only want a couple of ingredients you may as well shop local to save delivery all works out the same really.

Hopefully the one in Pontypridd has a decent stock.

Yes I would do the same and if you only want a couple of ingredients you may as well shop local to save delivery all works out the same really.

Hopefully the one in Pontypridd has a decent stock.
It's a long time since I have been to Pete's, but it was more of a whole food shop than a homebrew shop. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I wanted some DME for a yeast starter, they had that but I don't recall a lot in the way of grains or hops.

Thanks for the heads up, I hope to just get a coopers stout kit, maybe some Dark malt extract and some chocolate malt hopefully, have a feeling they may not have that though...

The issue is that high street shops don't have the storage space to store ingredients. With more doing all grain then shops can't compete. The shear buying volume needed would mean you need a good online presence to survive, unless you also had a micro brewery. There are a number of breweries in Cardiff, perhaps try them for ingredients.

How much chocolate malt do you need? I have about 600g of Crisp 950EBC chocolate malt. You're welcome to have some of that.
Cheers for the offer but they actually had a reasonable selection of bits and Bob's, including chocolate malt quite surprisingly.

Only thing they didn't have is dark malt extract so just grabbed some brew enhancer instead. Not the cheapest, but not bad for a local store. They had a reasonable selection of kits, a selection of crushed grains and quite a bit of basic equipment. Well worth a visit, I will be popping back there again in future. Pretty sure they would order in if needed anything in big bulk as well, lady there was very friendly.

Attachments

• 20230525_181130.jpg
    20230525_181130.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Cheers for the offer but they actually had a reasonable selection of bits and Bob's, including chocolate malt quite surprisingly.

Only thing they didn't have is dark malt extract so just grabbed some brew enhancer instead. Not the cheapest, but not bad for a local store. They had a reasonable selection of kits, a selection of crushed grains and quite a bit of basic equipment. Well worth a visit, I will be popping back there again in future. Pretty sure they would order in if needed anything in big bulk as well, lady there was very friendly.
That's good to hear. I'll have to pop in again sometime

High Street homebrew home brew retailers were on the slide long before the emergence of the big online retailers. I live in South East London and we lost most of our local retailers many years ago.
The home brew shop Farnborough started out on the high Street, they were one of the first retailers to go online. They've had to move to an industrial unit to grow.
I believe without the online retailers our hobby wouldn't have survived. 🍻

Yes I am sure you are right, it also helps the customer in competitive terms, helps to keep the costs reasonable and make the hobby justifiable over simply buying our favourite booze.

Latest posts

Back