Hop choice - magnum/cascade/goldings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoyes

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm very new to brewing, and gearing up for my second brew (AG). Millions of questions obviously but one in particular I'm hoping for some opinions on.

I'm aiming for a hoppy pale ale, but not a full on IPA. I wanted to get a nice herbal hoppiness, but Ive not been able to get the hops I was after, and have ended up with left over Golding's, cascade and magnum.

So, with magnum as the bittering hops going in at the start of the boil, should I use both cascade and Golding at 30 and 5 (or whatever time intervals) or just one of these? Also, I'd like to dry hop, so again either or both for this?

I know taste in hops is pretty individual, but just looking for some opinions.

Many thanks!

What do you normally drink? What volume are you planning to brew? What OG are you aiming for?

Dave

My additions for a pale ale are along the lines of 60, 10, 5 and 3. Then a flameout addition cool quickly to 80* and hold it there for 30 mins.

Hello all,

I'm very new to brewing, and gearing up for my second brew (AG). Millions of questions obviously but one in particular I'm hoping for some opinions on.

I'm aiming for a hoppy pale ale, but not a full on IPA. I wanted to get a nice herbal hoppiness, but Ive not been able to get the hops I was after, and have ended up with left over Golding's, cascade and magnum.

So, with magnum as the bittering hops going in at the start of the boil, should I use both cascade and Golding at 30 and 5 (or whatever time intervals) or just one of these? Also, I'd like to dry hop, so again either or both for this?

I know taste in hops is pretty individual, but just looking for some opinions.

Many thanks!

Magnum is a hop i use for bittering its nice and clean and does the job very well, as for Cascade and Goldings most combos will give you a lovely ale whatever you choose :thumb:

What do you normally drink? What volume are you planning to brew? What OG are you aiming for?

Dave

I like all beer! And the only reference I can give for what I'd like to brew is The Pale Armadillo by Tempest Brewery.

The volume will be 25l

The og will be...unpredictable if my last batch is anything to go by. Nothing too odd, maybe 1050, but I'd be kidding myself to suggest I knew I could control that too closely. Grain-wise I'm using 4.5kg pale ale malt, 0.5kg crystal and 0.5kg wheat. And expecting to aim for mash temp 66c.

I like all beer! And the only reference I can give for what I'd like to brew is The Pale Armadillo by Tempest Brewery.

The volume will be 25l

The og will be...unpredictable if my last batch is anything to go by. Nothing too odd, maybe 1050, but I'd be kidding myself to suggest I knew I could control that too closely. Grain-wise I'm using 4.5kg pale ale malt, 0.5kg crystal and 0.5kg wheat. And expecting to aim for mash temp 66c.

I should add, I'm not expecting that I will brew The Pale Armadillo, it's just the inspiration, but the hops I wanted were out of stock at my local, so hey ho. If life gives you magnums, brew some of whatever the hell it is I'm going to brew. Or something else.

Back