Hop Growing in the garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, ok my bad. I shall take a few cuttings and see how they get on.

I'll be interested in how this goes Darren. My hops are brand new plants and are just a few leaves and wee little strings of stalk. I couldn't take any cuttings this year without setting the plants back far too much.

I'll be interested in how this goes Darren. My hops are brand new plants and are just a few leaves and wee little strings of stalk. I couldn't take any cuttings this year without setting the plants back far too much.

I'll let you know.
I'll take them in a month or so when it's going stronger, it's only just showed its first few shoots.

I'll let you know.
I'll take them in a month or so when it's going stronger, it's only just showed its first few shoots.

If you found you had to take off a shoot or two because you had three or four, those shoots removed might be ideal candidates for a bit of rooting powder and a nice new plant pot. If it works for you, I'll be trying that next year when I cut them back.

That's what I thought when I read that post. A cutting is identical genetic material to the original plant. Wondering how long it takes cuttings to establish and get growing. If like me you have only a handful of hop plants, chopping of chunks of roots might set them back a fair bit.
By now your hops should have grown 3 "leaders". anything else is cutting material. Dont worry you wont do any damage to the plant. Pick a shoot about 4 inches long and cut straight down at the base. Dont **** around with it, just cut it straight down. Put the cutting into a pot with multi-purpose compost and leave somewhere light and warm (not in direct sunlight) Keep well watered and it will root in 2 weeks.
Any Q`s, just ask

If you found you had to take off a shoot or two because you had three or four, those shoots removed might be ideal candidates for a bit of rooting powder and a nice new plant pot. If it works for you, I'll be trying that next year when I cut them back.

Now is the time to take cuttings, not when you cut them back after harvest.

Well it's been a while since last on and all I can say is despite the shocking Scottish weather my fuggle and cascade hop plants that I got for Xmas are doing great. Nearly 2feet tall

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So, it's a nice day in east Kent, SWMBO fancies a drive out this afternoon. We have a pot of tea and a lump of cake in a cafe in Sandwich. On the way back, she only drives into the car park of Essentially Hops..!!! She sees a garden lamp in their shop she fancies. So, I get to choose a couple of hop plants. Wow -what a stroke of luck?! I chose a Phoenix and a Redsell Eastwell. Looking forward to a spot of gardening tomorrow...

Now is the time to take cuttings, not when you cut them back after harvest.

I didn't make clear what I meant.

I have first year hop rhyzomes and can't afford to cut off any shoots because my shoots will help develop the root system this year.

I meant that if people have established hop plants and are thinking of cutting back some shoots as they have too many coming off a root, they could maybe try the surplus shoots as cuttings. I can't see why that wouldn't work and a lot of folk might be sacrificing shoots about now.

6a36939e90d2a449fa485334a98f8c7c.jpg

My hop progress, amazing how quick these shoot up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the recent balmy weather the hops have leapt up to about 6 feet! But one has lost its growing tip. Probably hit by the kids football. Grrrrr. What do I do with it? Leave it half grown? Cut it down? It doesn't look like it will sprout a new tip. Reminds me of when a rabbit nibbled the tip of all my onions in one night. No more onions.

Just thought I'd post a couple of photos of my hop plants taken on Monday evening.

I bought 3 Prima Donna hops as bare rooted plants from ebay at the back end of last year. They had plenty of roots and buds when I received them and were planted straight into builders buckets / trugs filled with John Innes No. 3.

I transferred them to the raised bed about 2 weeks ago and they have really taken off.

Prima Donna - 090516.jpg

I am aiming to train 2 shoots per string and I will cut the remaining smaller shoots off and try to root them.

Having watched a youtube video, I am just planning to put the cuttings into bottles filled with water and hope some of them grow roots.

Amazing progress from some of you. Just planted my seeds yesterday after their wet/cold/warm period as I saw they were starting to germinate. I know bines are best but seeds were cheap and wanted to give it a go. For those who say they won't grow or produce this far north - My local Asda are selling GRAPEVINES! :-o

With the recent balmy weather the hops have leapt up to about 6 feet! But one has lost its growing tip. Probably hit by the kids football. Grrrrr. What do I do with it? Leave it half grown? Cut it down? It doesn't look like it will sprout a new tip. Reminds me of when a rabbit nibbled the tip of all my onions in one night. No more onions.

I'm no expert but I'd leave it be, you may still get some cones on that run. The growth should just go to the other shoots instead now.

I planted this a few weeks ago, started off as just a little white shoot poking up above the soil. It's come on great guns in this hot weather and rain we've been having.

WP_20160512_14_42_09_Pro.jpg

heres my efforts lads but by saying that all the credit must go to johhnyboy 63 who graciously gave them to me a month back although they are thriving with a little TLC
the first image is a progress that is doing very well and am training it to go along the string then up the green canes and along the top string hopefully,it currently has three leaders
the second is a challenger and the 3rd a Target with the 4th image of 3 saplings of progress that johnnyboy63 planted for me in small pots on the day I went to see him.im still trying to work out where in the garden I can plant images 2/3 and finally 4.again many thanks to one of the truly great guys of the forum johnnyboy63:hat:

IMG_20160529_175438374[1].jpg

IMG_20160529_175452259[1].jpg

IMG_20160529_175458166[1].jpg

IMG_20160529_175504304[1].jpg

Does anyone know when you should expect to see the Hop cones forming? My hops are now huge but no sign of flowers yet?

Does anyone know when you should expect to see the Hop cones forming? My hops are now huge but no sign of flowers yet?
I think the flowers won't appear until later in July. I read somewhere that the start of flower growth is triggered by day length getting shorter...so after 20th June....which I guess isn't that far away now. Harvest in September.

Latest posts

Back