Hophead Vs Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
I don't usually try to copy commercial beers, but after a few strong-ish brews I really wanted something to drink that was flavourful but lower in alcohol. Hophead is one of my favourite beers that fit into this category so thought I's have a go at making something similar and share my findings. I didn't spend ages researching the exact recipe down to the last gram, but instead tried to get an overview of the recipe and make it work with my set-up.

My recipe was:-

24L batch
4000g Maris Otter
200g Caramalt
Mash 80mins - starting at 66.2C (63.3C by the end)

Boiled 1hr
Cascade pellets 8.3% AA
10g @ 60mins
50g @ 10mins
40g @ 70C steep - 30mins
56g dry hop 5 days

MJ West Coast Ale yeast - fermented 2 weeks @ 18C (increased to 20C last few days)
7 days in 2ndry before kegging.

OG 1.039
FG 1.009
3.9% ABV

26-30 IBU (depending on software used)
9 EBC

I'm drinking this 7 days after kegging and I think its pretty obvious which one of these came out of the bottle:-

I'm quite happy with my effort and am certainly enjoying it, but the original has as much if not more fruity/floral aroma despite not apparently being dry hopped, and is it more complex and full bodied with a more lingering bitterness. The flavour is similar but mine is more bland - after some reading up today I think they might use a blend of US04, 05 & Notty yeasts, which may account for some of this difference.

Its been interesting to try a clone and interesting to compare the beers side by side. I now quite want to make it again to try to get closer to the original.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back