How do people brew their beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brewing method do you use?

• All grain (inc mini mash)

Votes: 99 74.4%
  • Mostly all grain but some kits

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Mostly kits but some all grain

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Kits (inc tweaking)

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Malt extract

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Evening all

As the title really. How do you produce your beer?
For the purpose of the poll "kits" means malt extract kits (dry or syrup) not grain kits.

Cheers Tom

Edited to add the option of using malt extract

Last edited:
I'm the opposite - mostly all grain with extract kits now and again to restock.

Will be interesting to see the results of the poll.

"badly" Lol. 🤣

I was just thinking "quickly" but that also isn't an option.

SoupDragon brilliant poll mate. I think you & I are thinking along the same lines with kit vs AG

Me: 100% AG because I cannot find kits that are comparable. Taste or price.

My brewing habits have always been dictated by personal circumstances rather than the perceived quality of the beer I was making.
Family, free time, health or most recently inclination.
The all grain brewing process can be extremely interesting and more rewarding than using kits. But this last few years I've fallen out of love with the process and haven't really enjoyed the last several brew days. I really do miss doing them but I just can't motivate myself to get my brewing gear out and spend 5 hours or so crafting a brew (including prep/cleaning). If I'm honest that does make me a little sad but times change and circumstances change so you do the best you can. I hope I can rekindle my interest in the process, I do have the time now I've given up working for a living. My body is still up to the job of handling the weight of a malt pipe full of sweet soaking grain, it's just that I can't be @rsed at the moment.
So while I'm getting perfectly acceptable beer from the kits I'm doing, I can't see that changing any time soon 🥺

Cheers Tom

I'm AG now but did progress from kits,extract,part mash.
I too get time and supply bottlenecks which does dampen my enthusiasm but then buying supermarket beer soon gives me a kick!
I would add that the beer I made from kits from Festival and Youngs were very good but the speed in getting them on was sometimes eroded by the time they took to finish!

Equipment evolution has made all-grain almost as easy as extract brewing. BIAB is simple.

Personally I'd class any all in one machine as a fancy BIAB. For me the only real difference is the "bag" is made from stainless steel. Or am I being too simplistic?
I wonder if my old original generation 1 ACE brewer was the first of the cheap imitation Grainfather's?

Ooo, is BIAB not all grain ? I do BIAB. Think I did 2, maybe 3 kits then fell under the influence of clibit on here.

I've found that half hour mash and half hour boil, 10 litre brews means I can do one in a morning.

The fact that you fill the BIAB bag with grain is a bit of a giveaway that indeed it is in fact all grain. Or at the very least a partial mash.
At first the process was snubbed by many (not necessarily on this forum) purely as a gimmick until some brewers started winning competitions.

Cheers Tom

Back