How do people brew their beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brewing method do you use?

• All grain (inc mini mash)

Votes: 99 74.4%
  • Mostly all grain but some kits

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Mostly kits but some all grain

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Kits (inc tweaking)

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Malt extract

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Does that not apply to all brewing then that employs some sort of a mesh or filter?
I have heard it referred to as Brew in a Basket, and no a filter is not necessarily a bag or basket which contains the grain and is removed at the end of the mash. A plain filter on the other hand, the mash still has to be lautered.

The all grain brewing process can be extremely interesting and more rewarding than using kits. But this last few years I've fallen out of love with the process and haven't really enjoyed the last several brew days.

I’m into all-grain brewing and not brewed beer from a kit since I started all-grain. I do on occasion feel it’s a bit of a chore but only after I’ve had a break from brewing (after I’ve stocked up and have no need to brew for a while). Once I get a brew on those feelings go and I’m back in the game. Maybe the same would happen to you?

In the meantime, until you find your mojo, kits still provide beer.

You could also think about small batch brewing on the hob cutting back the process to the minimum or modifying kits with a handful of grain or hops in a pan with some of the wort from the kit - this might rekindle interest?

Interesting to see the small score for "extract" vs kits. When I started brewing around 25 or so years ago, I didn't have the equipment or knowledge for all grain but quickly moved to brewing from extract which I saw as a step up from kits.
I then had a 20 year break and started again about 5 years ago as all-grain only.
Maybe kits are that much better now so brewing from extract isn't seen as a step up.

Possibly more to do with the equipment, time, energy use and the logistics of boiling wort. The popularity of BIAB and AIO systems makes mashing an easy option over extract, than what it was in 3 vessel setups.

It’s All grain for me I only use kits that are bought for me by well intended relatives who know I brew beer but don’t understand the process. I’ve currently got a couple to do and I know I won’t enjoy them !
Pass them on, @Mash Monster. Christmas is coming and it might set one or two newbies on the road to perdition.

Just started on my all grain journey so have a stash of kits still to brew. Also I can't resist a bargain hence the acquisition of 2 free kits recently. Was slightly embarrassed to just "buy" those so added 2 half price kits too. 😆

You could also think about small batch brewing on the hob cutting back the process to the minimum or modifying kits with a handful of grain or hops in a pan with some of the wort from the kit - this might rekindle interest?
Before I got my all in one I used to brew on the stove in a 33 litre stock pot. Worked well but unfortunately we now have an induction hob and even if I hadn't got rid of the pot it wouldn't work now.
I've still got a couple of mash kits and I still plan to use them. Can't be chucking good (hopefully, as they've been there over a year) grain.

Oh, I've just ordered some kits from Hamstead home brew. One of those has additional grain but only a steep. They all have a hop addition too. Might get my thoughts back on the grain, not holding out much hope though

Cheers Tom

Well I fractured my ankle and dislocated it on Last Monday I’m on crutches so for at least the next 6 weeks no brewing for me really as I’m dosed up to the eyeballs on drugs at the moment.

Ouch. Best wishes on a swift recovery AB!

I started out in the 90’s with Hamleton Bard and other kits brewed in a bucket then lobbed in a pressure barrel. Usually drunk post pub by whoever ended up crashing over. Not sure why I stopped?
Restarted 3yrs ago having spotted a Wherry kit with bucket etc and did half a dozen kits during which time I discovered this lovely forum.
Got the all grain bug and invested in an electric 56litre pot and did BIAB for a couple of years. Enjoyed the process and results and SWMBO treated me to a Gainfather S40 in the pre Xmas sales last year, which I love.
I think I’m 28x all grain brews in but still very green so enjoy reading your posts 🍻

Thanks it was a bit of a freak accident well no all grain for 6 weeks I reckon in a couple of weeks I might be able to get a extract kit on for the day I’m off the the painkillers and drugs

It’s All grain for me I only use kits that are bought for me by well intended relatives who know I brew beer but don’t understand the process. I’ve currently got a couple to do and I know I won’t enjoy them !
When I was "transitioning" from kits to AG, I did quite a few brews with a kit (usually Coopers) and a half batch of AG. It is pretty easy to get 10L+ using a Wilko 15L pot (or whatever, time has been unkind to that Brand) and the resulting beer is pretty good.
So, either do it "half and half" or make an AG brew a fair bit stronger by chucking the kit in the FV. The kit has some bittering, so maybe take that into consideration for the hopping.

started with kits in the late 70's moved onto BIAB a year on until moving to South Africa in 86, no more brewing till 12 years ago as it was difficult to obtain good malts etc. then the home brewing idea took of here so I ask back into all grain, made most of my gear as imported equipment is so expensive, use a modified 50lt kettle with a suspended basket which I spin to help maintain constant temperature, suspend the basket for lautering, generally get 95 percent efficiency and generally get very good results, would never go back to kits, only ever brew English style ales, miss them after years of South African lagers!

BIAB for me.

Parts of it can be a chore at times (cleaning and bottling) but chopping onions is a pain in the hoop too but that won't stop me cooking!

How do you rate the brew monk? Any scorching issues? Or does it have a low density element?
You can reduce the wattage, I normally ramp up temp at 1900 Watts, mast at maybe 1200.
No scorching issues and very efficient at normal grain bills.
Would highly recommend

Latest posts

Back