How long is it safe to leave a beer in the FV for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCase

Reaction score
My Festival Pilgrims Hope is still bubbling away after 10 days (abeit slowly) today and I have to go away for just over a week on Friday. If it's not done tomorrow, is it safe to leave until I come back?

yes mate , 3 weeks is ok for a standard brew but 4 would be pushing your luck unless its a high % beer and in that case prob add a few more weeks but not too many . :)

DamageCase said:
My Festival Pilgrims Hope is still bubbling away after 10 days (abeit slowly) today and I have to go away for just over a week on Friday. If it's not done tomorrow, is it safe to leave until I come back?

have you got a clean FV you can transfer it into? If you have sterilize it and transfer it. It will be fine to leave it, but if it was me I would just transfer it into something clean to something clean to minimise the risk of infection. All the infections I have had have all been due to leaving in an fv for excessive lengths of time 3+ weeks.

I've just kegged one that's been in 4 weeks under airlock, no probs at all as long as you don't keep peeping inside.

BB

I don't have a second FV. I'm going to invest in a second one in the new year as my one will be tied up doing slow lager fermentations. I think I'll just have to suck it and see in the mean time. It's only been opened once to add the hop pellets and the fermentation was still really vigorous at the time so most of the air will have been pushed out since. Is that right to assume?

It'll be fine mate, i've left one in the fermenter for about 3 and a half weeks before (it was over 6% though) and that turned out to be one of my best ever brews! Get yourself a couple more fv's and then you can use one as a bottling bucket
:cheers:

This one should be around 5% so I reckon it'll be alight. Yeah I really count do with a bottling bucket. I'm currently using an old pressure barrel I was given.

I left a 5% bee in the primary fv for 5 weeks recently and it was fine :oops:

I didn't open it at all and it was in my fermentation fridge but I think I got quite lucky. :party:

Back