How to make your first Wurzel's Orange Wine - Discussion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice how to :clap: Im not really a wine maker but having read this & the original post Im going to give this one a go Iv got a couple of DJ's nocking about somewhare, :thumb: :cheers:

Class how-to, excellent work Moley :clap:

Great work Moley - now I need to get my hands on some of those things that are specific to wine making (nutrient, tannin and pectolase). :clap:

Brilliant post i think the the word definitive comes into play some where.
I wish i had read this two years ago but I suppose there's nothing like learning the hard way from ones own mistakes.
One question what size forstner bit did you use.
Great Idea for a new section look for ward to more posts.

Cheers Graham.

:cheers: Great work Ade a really good How to.

I have a minor suggestion ( if you don't mind). When a few WO have been made try using a champagne yeast instead of a GP one it makes quite a difference ;)

Richard G :drink:

i've never used pet bottles but if i wanted to use them to age for a month or so when they are stable would i still need to drill lid and fit airlock??

That is a nice job Ade :cheers:

Just one thing about this bit though:

Add your sugar syrup, glycerine and tea then add some cold water but DO NOT FILL. With a PET it’s usually safe to fill to this level, with a glass DJ it should be to the bottom of the shoulder.

Would it not be a good idea to actually say "put in the juice"....a newbie might top the DJ up and not leave room for it :mrgreen:

All in all that coming on great :clap:

Oh pay attention Wurzel :nono:
“Pour your juices into the DJ or PET” comes before “add your sugar syrup (etc.)” ;)

Richard: I've never tried a champagne yeast, but will give it a try.

jonboymentalhealth said:
i've never used pet bottles but if i wanted to use them to age for a month or so when they are stable would i still need to drill lid and fit airlock??
I use PETs for short-term maturation with regular lids screwed down tight. Just ease the lid after a week or so and check there's no fizz. PETs are flexible and will cope with a slight pressure, glass DJs aren't and won't.

Moley said:
Oh pay attention Wurzel :nono:
“Pour your juices into the DJ or PET” comes before “add your sugar syrup (etc.)” ;)
My humblest apologies Ade.......must have read over that bit :oops: :lol:

..must have read over that bit :oops: :lol:
[/quote]

Sorry Mr Wurzel sir but I just can't help my self did you have your brewing head on and not your reading one.

Apologies in advance Graham. :whistle:

Nice one Ade :thumb: It's good to see it all in one place :cheers:

richardagutteridge said:
:cheers: Great work Ade a really good How to.

I have a minor suggestion ( if you don't mind). When a few WO have been made try using a champagne yeast instead of a GP one it makes quite a difference ;)

Richard G :drink:

Will it give a sparkling wine? If so would it be ok in normal corked bottles?

I use a champagne yeast on all my white wines as it has a high alcohol ceiling, but my wines are still, the only way wine will becomes fizzy is by adding a tea spoon or so of sugar when conditioning the wine in sealed bottles.
This happens due to secondary fermentation in the bottle using the sugar this will only happen if live yeast is present eg the wine hasn't been sulphated.

Cheers Graham.

Cussword said:
Will (champagne yeast) give a sparkling wine? If so would it be ok in normal corked bottles?
No and NO!

You will only get a sparkling wine if you prime, or bottle before it has quite finished.

If you intend to make a sparkling wine you MUST use the proper bottles which are designed to withstand the pressure. A proper Champagne bottle should weigh something in the order of 750-800g, force carbonated wine bottles may be around 600g. Stoppers should be wired in with ‘champagne cages’ and you will have a problem with a sediment, same as with a bottle conditioned beer, only this will stir up as soon as you open it.

This was intended as a guide for beginners, let's not take it into advanced techniques just yet.

JUst read this "how 2" it looks gr8 and will defo try it going save me bottles from now on get em filled with Wurzels. so cheap 2 do got most of ingredients allready,. keep em coming with ideas.

7G brewing cider (pressed apples with inlaws juicer)
1G ribena strawberry wine
4G plum wine
First time with all of them gr8 aint it :cheers: :party: :drink:

Moley said:
Cussword said:
Will (champagne yeast) give a sparkling wine? If so would it be ok in normal corked bottles?
No and NO!

You will only get a sparkling wine if you prime, or bottle before it has quite finished.

If you intend to make a sparkling wine you MUST use the proper bottles which are designed to withstand the pressure. A proper Champagne bottle should weigh something in the order of 750-800g, force carbonated wine bottles may be around 600g. Stoppers should be wired in with ‘champagne cages’ and you will have a problem with a sediment, same as with a bottle conditioned beer, only this will stir up as soon as you open it.

This was intended as a guide for beginners, let's not take it into advanced techniques just yet.

:oops: Sorry Moley, I consider myself chastised :)

Many thanks to Aleman for locking the original topic and splitting off the comments, just like I said I would probably do, and was just about to do myself, having just racked that wine and taken the next batch of pictures. Update to follow, as soon as I have written it and uploaded the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back