I want a chocolatey flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All. just been bought a Wilco Black velvet stout for my birthday. I want this for Christmas. Any tips of what to add for a chocolate flavour. Or toffee flavour.
:cheers:

1 pint of the brew and a Mars bar.
drink ... bite...drink...bite.

to be honest with kits you are playing with fire if you try and alter there make up. A few dry hops is ok but I've found that altering the fermentables can alter the beer out of all recognition.

Chrystal Malt gives a nice toffee sweetness to all grain brews

Chocolate Malt just gives you a darker colour

but you can always experiment with a bit of cocoa powder in the ferment....

I've never used it myself but I have tried a beer that had chocolate extract added before bottling. It was ok but not something I would do myself but we all have different taste. I've also read about some using cocoa powder in the FV but most said it added no flavour and just dropped out into the sediment.

:cheers:

I just use to brew the kits as per instructions. Don't fancy all grain. But the last cider i did for swombo i put some rhubarb in and it actually tasted of rhubarb so thought i would be a bit braver in future.
I have substituted sugar mostly T&N for syrup and treacle but don't know if this added any additional different taste or not. Like a chocolate tasting stoute so thought i could maybe add to a kit for this taste

When you get the boiling water for your kit, make a hot chocolate using a whole tub of Bournville cocoa powder and the boiling water you was adding. Then put it in the fv.

I did this with a kit about a year ago as well as lactose took longer for it to mature but OMG for a kit it was something I could drink all day and pay for.

Pretty sure it was 1kg of dark brown sugar, and I think I stupidly used a whole bag of lactose which made it too sweet to drink at first but after sitting for 4 months it became more mellow.

For all dark kits I used muscovado or dark brown and lights I used honey.

Latest posts

Back