Interesting Prefermentation Filtration Test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ve read that experiment, in fact I read a number of the brulosophy experiments. I'm hoping to try out the 30 min boil on my next 5L brew.

I normally have loads of trub as I no chill and just chuck everything (apart from seiving out the hop debris) in the FV, break material included and never really noticed anything 'off' about my beer. I've recently started seperating the trub from the wort prior to pitiching so I can harvest yeast better.

very interesting. I thought it would have the opposite effect.

I've listened to him on basic brewing radio. Every time he's been on, there's been little or no discernible difference in the experiments and rarely a conclusive result on guessing the right one... basically, his experiments seem to suggest the little things don't matter than much.

I bung it all in and therefore I'm not really surprised. I suspect the differences are tiny and that if you kept repeating the experiment you'd probably get different results. Though I guess trub may assist the yeast and lead to a slightly clearer beer and a consequent extra sharpness.

Do you find this a better way to use hops?

Don't know really. It's just the way I've always done it. I haven't bothered to use hop bags because either you have to clean them (so that's one more thing to clean) or you'd have to buy new ones every time you brew and I'm far too tight for that

I bung it all in and therefore I'm not really surprised. I suspect the differences are tiny and that if you kept repeating the experiment you'd probably get different results. Though I guess trub may assist the yeast and lead to a slightly clearer beer and a consequent extra sharpness.

I've read repeatedly that yeast need a bit of trub as nutrient. What leads you to suspect that the yeast needing trub will lead to a slightly clearer beer? On my thread about skimming the boil Mcmullen says that skimming leads to less trub (which I concur with) which leads to clearer wort (haven't noticed myself especially as my last brew was like pea soup due to forgetting to add irish moss and not very flocculant yeast)

I ain't no expert here. But it seems feasible that healthy yeast will do a fuller job of cleaning things up. But I have no scientific back up here. I don't think trub leads to less clear beer though. Clarity is achieved in various ways and I don't think trub is a negative factor. You may transfer some to your bottles obviously. But I do things to try to minimise that.

I also try to minimise trub in my bottles by racking to a bottling bucket - which seems to work well.

My understanding of why a beer wouldn't be clear is for two reasons. 1) Protiens in the wort e.g. when you get chill haze and 2) Yeast in suspension. I kind of agree that trub doesn't generally make for hazy beer as it's for the most part heavy and sinks to the bottom of the FV/bottle quite quickly. But then again trub is made up of various things including yeast so see point no.2

Yeast in suspension should hit the bottom with time, cooling, and possibly with the help of kettle finings? I just wait for clarity, keep it cool, rack to a bottling bucket.

I will be boiling, skimming the brown stuff, cooling with a copper coil, waiting for a couple of hours for everything to settle & transfer to the fermenting bucket. The wort going to the fermenting vessel is pretty clear by this time, though obviously some trub gets through. I buy hop cones whenever available because I believe the mechanical action of the hops boiling in the wort helps the hot break happen. For this reason I don't use a bag for the hops.

I've done the above exactly once so far. :wha:

I used to use muslin bags for hop additions but my own personal experience was I felt they had some diminishing effects on the hops profile..

Could have just been recipe or something I did in my earlier boil days so there is no science behind it. It is just since I went bagless I have noticed a much more prominent hop profile.

Latest posts

Back