Is it worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be football not the bird!
Ah, I can see now that the spelling canary is different to your spelling. I follow Aussie Rules Football code not English soccer. Can't say I have ever heard of Canairy sounds like an island in the north of Scotland

I've had my Klarstein Maischfest for 3 years now. I love it and won't buy anything else until it packs in. Even then, I might just buy another. Great value for money.

The only addition I've made to it, is that I bought a magnetic pump a year or so ago to recirculate the wort. It really helped with clearing the wort and temperature control.

Ok so I’m thinking of getting one of these as I don’t know how much time I will have to brew from all grain or whether it’s really going to be my thing.
Just asking in general are they worth it or is it best to wait and get something like a Grainfather g30

Its important to get something. Trying to Make beer without some special equipment could be properly off putting.... It very nearly was for me.

I take my hat of the stovetop brewers, they can do it. But it would drive me booloo.

All AIO units do the same thing, it’s just how many bells and whistles you want to pay for. You don’t need a bunch of expensive shiny stuff to brew great beer.

My advice, buy what you can afford and learn how to use it.

I've had my Klarstein Maischfest for 3 years now. I love it and won't buy anything else until it packs in. Even then, I might just buy another. Great value for money.

The only addition I've made to it, is that I bought a magnetic pump a year or so ago to recirculate the wort. It really helped with clearing the wort and temperature control.
That's something I'm considering for the future.
Do you have a link?

Right now, I use the jug and refill it from the top method.

What filter mesh did you buy?
1000019687.jpg
@stu sorry I can't remember where on fleabay I ordered it from. It was just a generic bazooka filter. The one on the LHS is the original and the right is the generic one to covert male to female I used the overflow tube coupler as I never use the extension. It does allow more break material through to the fermenter, but I haven't seen any problems with my beers. Hope this helps. Cheers.

That's something I'm considering for the future.
Do you have a link?

Right now, I use the jug and refill it from the top method.
Hi Stu,

I used the jug method of recirculation too, until someone gave me amazon vouchers for my birthday and I used them to buy this pump. It doesn't come with a power supply but I just use a supply that came with an air pump that I have for blowing up a mattress. Then I just bought a length of silicone tubing, some hose clamps and a small ball valve to restrict the flow into the mash. I'll find a photo of the valve and my set up if that helps.

Screenshot_20240521_194123_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is the valve I bought.

I can't find any photos of my set up but it's basically a short piece of tubing from the Klarstein tap to the pump, another short piece to the valve, then a long piece into the Klarstein.

Screenshot_20240521_195526_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Do you have anything on the end
then a long piece into the Klarstein F that, to stop the wort tunnelling through the grain bed? Thinking of trying a similar thing.
No I don't have anything on the end. The flow is so low that tunneling has never happened. The flow from the pump without any restriction is so high that it risks draining the wort and scorching the kettle, hence why i bought the valve to restrict the flow. I suppose you could put something on the end that sprays the wort over the mash if you were concerned about tunneling.

Interesting. I keep looking at small pumps for sparging on Ali express.
Don't need a high flow rate, but do need it to deal with high temperature. So I have been looking at pumps for caravans/motorhomes/solar heating.

But I'll have to.have a measure up of fitting diameters before taking the plunge.

Interesting. I keep looking at small pumps for sparging on Ali express.
Don't need a high flow rate, but do need it to deal with high temperature. So I have been looking at pumps for caravans/motorhomes/solar heating.

But I'll have to.have a measure up of fitting diameters before taking the plunge.
I've been looking for a good one that is good for high temperatures (100c wort) and also maintains a good head pressure. The G30 pump isn't quite big enough to pump up through the CFC into my fermenter in the sky... And the big brother one doesn't fit into the G30 housing

I've been looking for a good one that is good for high temperatures (100c wort) and also maintains a good head pressure. The G30 pump isn't quite big enough to pump up through the CFC into my fermenter in the sky... And the big brother one doesn't fit into the G30 housing
Sounds like your looking at much bigger pumps than me. I just want a low flow rate for sparging & it would be external so I can easily strip it down for cleaning.

Looking at the Zerodis one, can it deal with ~70c temperatures (to give a bit of +/-)?
And with the silicon tubing, I'd be tempted to use "car" stuff. Some of the standard brewing tubing, I'd not be so happy to run it at those kinds of temps.

And rewarding. A lot of people who take up a hobby don't bother to learn the fundamentals get disappointed and then give it up.
Yep and best not to think too hard about the economics of it 😀🙈.

Edit sorry - replied to an earlier post. Not keeping up here!

Looking at the Zerodis one, can it deal with ~70c temperatures (to give a bit of +/-)?
And with the silicon tubing, I'd be tempted to use "car" stuff. Some of the standard brewing tubing, I'd not be so happy to run it at those kinds of temps.
Not sure about operating temperatures of the pump, but I've used it during 75degC mash outs with all my brews with no apparent detriment. I strip down the pump after each use too - there's not much to them.

The silicone tubing that I bought says that it's good for up to 220degC. I don't use it above 75degC though. Here's what I bought:

Screenshot_20240521_234052_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Latest posts

Back