Is Tesco Ashback water still a good option?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dordoor

Reaction score
Is Tesco Ashback 5L water still considered to be a good option to adjust and brew with? Tesco didn't have it for sometime now back but the numbers are a bit different.

124F179E-C86A-4538-9CF5-B185056D8623.jpeg

Will be the first time adjusting water and people used/suggested this as a good base water, wondering if this is still a good option or there would be better bottled water options in the UK to start with.

Thanks

That water is fine! There's no such thing as the "ideal" water, but what you've got there is a fine base for building water to whatever might be considered "ideal" (by whoever). Or to dilute the naff stuff coming out the tap.

About 10% of the population don't need to bother (the stuff out of the tap is as good, or better 'cos it doesn't come wrapped in all that unsustainable single use plastic). My own supply isn't so polluted with nitrates, but I don't think that has any impact on beer brewing, and I eat far too much nitrate plastered bacon to be worried about the water.

Have just added those figures into Brewers Friend. Look ok as a starting point, but likely need a little bit of salts (Gypsum and Calcium Chloride) to get the Calcium and Sulphate ions into the right area.

Screenshot_20230113_104505_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for this, still learning this but will give it a go with my next brew. Got the salts purchased already, will then buy this water 👍

Would recommend the Brewers Friend water calculator for someone new to water treatment.

You can play around with the salt additions and it will indicate what beer the resulting water profile will be good for.

Would recommend the Brewers Friend water calculator for someone new to water treatment.

You can play around with the salt additions and it will indicate what beer the resulting water profile will be good for.
Will definitely check it out, does brewfather have the same or similar calculator?

Is Tesco Ashback 5L water still considered to be a good option to adjust and brew with? Tesco didn't have it for sometime now back but the numbers are a bit different.

View attachment 80605

Will be the first time adjusting water and people used/suggested this as a good base water, wondering if this is still a good option or there would be better bottled water options in the UK to start with.

Thanks

It really depends on what water profile you are looking to achieve. You may find for most beer styles your tap water is pretty close. I bought an RO filter a while ago which gives a completely blank canvass to start from but when creating my preferred water profile for most styles it is actually better to just use my tap water, with some lactic acid and campden, as the starting point. I only use the RO for lagers and even then only 75% RO mixed with 25% tap water.

Sorry to sidetrack a little bit... I've just got back to brewing, and I don't know if it's just a Sheffield thing, but I heard due to the water shortage in the summer that water is getting shipped all around the country, so it's hard to tell what is actually in our tap water. I wondered if anyone else had experienced inconsistent water profiles when using tap water?

I've done my first brew in about 9 months last night, so didn't add any additions to see how it comes out.

My own supply isn't so polluted with nitrates, but I don't think that has any impact on beer brewing, and I eat far too much nitrate plastered bacon to be worried about the water.
It's mostly nitr*i*tes in bacon and other cured foods, not nitr*a*tes. Similar, but one less oxygen, and nitrates get broken down into nitrites so the difference is a bit moot anyway.

OP is in London, so their water will look something like the Fuller's municipal supply in Chiswick & Hammersmith. For lagers you may need to go all Ashbeck, but for typical ales then something like 3 Ashbeck cut with 2 of tap water, or 4:1, will be a good starting point whilst simplifying the logistics a bit! Don't just mash with Ashbeck though, it needs some/all of the tapwater in the mash to give the enzymes more calcium, just watch the pH.

It's mostly nitr*i*tes in bacon and other cured foods, not nitr*a*tes. Similar, but one less oxygen, and nitrates get broken down into nitrites so the difference is a bit moot anyway.

OP is in London, so their water will look something like the Fuller's municipal supply in Chiswick & Hammersmith. For lagers you may need to go all Ashbeck, but for typical ales then something like 3 Ashbeck cut with 2 of tap water, or 4:1, will be a good starting point whilst simplifying the logistics a bit! Don't just mash with Ashbeck though, it needs some/all of the tapwater in the mash to give the enzymes more calcium, just watch the pH.
I think I got this wrong. The way I see this is knowing everything. By knowing everything I have the knowledge to control the known. I know what's in the Ashback water but still dont know my tap water. I almost went by getting a water analysis but I learned that it can change frequency so ditched the idea. Then there is RO water. Cost more, waste more water... Mineral water seems to be a good starting option right now.

Using only Ashback water with adjustments isn't a good idea?

I think I got this wrong. The way I see this is knowing everything. By knowing everything I have the knowledge to control the known. I know what's in the Ashback water but still dont know my tap water. I almost went by getting a water analysis but I learned that it can change frequency so ditched the idea. Then there is RO water. Cost more, waste more water... Mineral water seems to be a good starting option right now.

Using only Ashback water with adjustments isn't a good idea?
RO water is cheaper than Ashbeck if it's in your area e.g spotless water. Around 5p/litre.

I know. I also know the bacon I get is cured with nitr*a*te! Often wondered why a lot of ingredient lists have nitrate instead of (or as well as) nitrite - guess I know now?

P.S. I've never used nitrites, or nitrates in meat curing or fertiliser - but I was employed to use nitrates (legally I might add) in that "other" well known use of nitrate ... 💥.

Neither do you any good (especially the way I used it) and high amounts of either are a good indicator of pollutants. It will only naturally appear in clean water in really miniscule amounts. What tiny amounts there is in my water probably got peed there by the sheep! The sheep haven't got spots so the water must be "spotless" too?

RO water is cheaper than Ashbeck if it's in your area e.g spotless water. Around 5p/litre.
Interesting.. We have a spotless water point not too far away, and I could easily fill old Ashbeck 5L bottles. I'm early within my all grain journey, and to be honest I cant really be arsed with water profiles etc yet! Using Spotless would be cheaper than Ashbeck.. but if I dont want to do anything with the water, would I better with Ashbeck, Spotless with no further additions or tap water (I'm Suffolk, and its pretty hard!) ?

Interesting.. We have a spotless water point not too far away, and I could easily fill old Ashbeck 5L bottles. I'm early within my all grain journey, and to be honest I cant really be arsed with water profiles etc yet! Using Spotless would be cheaper than Ashbeck.. but if I dont want to do anything with the water, would I better with Ashbeck, Spotless with no further additions or tap water (I'm Suffolk, and its pretty hard!) ?
Spotless without additions would be the worst option, as there is no calcium or magnesium which the yeast needs (although some will come out of the grain).
Ashbeck is probably the best of the three unadjusted, although you may still need to adjust with acid for the mash depending on your grist.
Tapwater if hard will lead to a mash pH too high most probably.
Plenty don't use any water adjustments at all, but for me its the easiest controllable to control.

Thanks. When I said I'm early in my journey... I meant I have an All In One ready to go, and the first AG recipe kit is with DPD and on the way from GeterBrewed! I'll start with Ashbeck and see how that goes for the first brew.

Sorry to sidetrack a little bit... I've just got back to brewing, and I don't know if it's just a Sheffield thing, but I heard due to the water shortage in the summer that water is getting shipped all around the country, so it's hard to tell what is actually in our tap water. I wondered if anyone else had experienced inconsistent water profiles when using tap water?

I've done my first brew in about 9 months last night, so didn't add any additions to see how it comes out.
I think a lot depends on which side of Sheffield you're on. I used to live on the Peaks side (Nether Green) and the water was soft there.

Now living in Handsworth, on the other side, we have to use a Brita Filter to keep the kettle from gradually furring up.

For my brews, I tend to use unfettered Corporation Pop (tap water, actually from the hot tap, as it saves time and we have a combi boiler) for the bitter, hop forward brews, which seem fine to me. For the malt/yeast forward ones, I run the water through one of the old Brita filters after it's had it's time filtering our water for drinking/filling the kettle. I've cut a hole in a bucket lid to accept the funnel bit from a Brita jug, and fill this with a hose from the tap. It takes a couple of hours to get 20 litres from it.

As you say, I've heard that over this side of Sheffield, supply can come from multiple sources. Yorkshire Water do provide water reports online here: Yorkshire Water - Water Hardness Apparently my water is 'Moderately Hard' at the moment.

For me, this works. Beyond the filtering, I don't pay much attention to water profiles etc. I like that my solution is a low tech one that saves my poor brain from working anything out, and my wallet from spending any extra money.

For my brews, I tend to use unfettered Corporation Pop (tap water, actually from the hot tap, as it saves time and we have a combi boiler) for the bitter, hop forward brews, which seem fine to me. For the malt/yeast forward ones, I run the water through one of the old Brita filters after it's had it's time filtering our water for drinking/filling the kettle. I've cut a hole in a bucket lid to accept the funnel bit from a Brita jug, and fill this with a hose from the tap. It takes a couple of hours to get 20 litres from it.

As you say, I've heard that over this side of Sheffield, supply can come from multiple sources. Yorkshire Water do provide water reports online here: Yorkshire Water - Water Hardness Apparently my water is 'Moderately Hard' at the moment.

For me, this works. Beyond the filtering, I don't pay much attention to water profiles etc. I like that my solution is a low tech one that saves my poor brain from working anything out, and my wallet from spending any extra money.
Nice one - thanks for the reply! I did a brew last week with basic tap water (just used the old Campden tablets to dechlorinate) and it came out pretty good. Similar to when I last brewed, which is a relief. Next brew I'll try some water additions I think.

I also live in Handsworth by the way (small world)! Here's my source water profile in Brewfather in case it helps you in any way (assuming it'll be the same for both of us):

1674726064242.png

I

Nice one - thanks for the reply! I did a brew last week with basic tap water (just used the old Campden tablets to dechlorinate) and it came out pretty good. Similar to when I last brewed, which is a relief. Next brew I'll try some water additions I think.

I also live in Handsworth by the way (small world)! Here's my source water profile in Brewfather in case it helps you in any way (assuming it'll be the same for both of us):

View attachment 81143
I
Small world indeed! 😊

Thanks for that info. I'm sure I'll put it to good use at some point.

View attachment 81143
I
In fact, this info is really useful. Thanks again. After running it though brewers friend, it make s a lot of sense.

The calculator there states unfettered water is fine for bitter brews, and explains why the softer water from the filter would suit the malty/yeasty ones better. I think I'll need to experiment diluting the filtered water with council pop depending on what the intention is and maybe even add 1.5tsp of Calcium Chloride, if the fancy takes me.

I'll shut up now, to save me hijacking the thread any more than I already have 😂

Yes - my experience is this for our water:

1. Dechlorinate with campden tablets.
2. Depending on the brew, add epsom salts or gypsum to boost the sulfate (mainly for traditional beers where you want to emphasise hop bitterness - think West Coast IPA or a British Bitter). Or if going after a more malty/soft mouthfeel (probably like stout, NEIPA or Hazy Pale ales) boost the chloride using calcium chloride, canning salt (pure salt with no additives like Saxa Course Sea Salt) and I've not tried this, but I've just bought some Magnesium Chloride too. Be careful not to push the calcium or magnesium too high when playing with these though!
3. Normally add a few mls of Lactic acid to help the mash PH. It's normally too high!

Reading up on sulphate-to-chloride ratios for different beer styles was a game changer for me! Worth checking out if you haven't - it's not too bad once you get your head around it.

Latest posts

Back