Is there too much water in this airlock?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Does it look like I have put too much water in the airlock, not enough or just right.

The fermentation has started and the lid on the FV has bulged but no air bubbles seem to be passing through the airlock

Cheers folks, Crofty

airlock.jpg

Oh and I forgot to add, should I put the cap on the airlock? I'm guessing I leave it off though!

This is good to know. When I press down on the lid to the FV to in effect force some gas out of the air lock no bubbles appear either. The water just gets pushed out

How long has your brew been going and at what temp?

p.s. your airlock is designed to work with the cap on though it won't make much difference.

Brews been going for about 2 days now at 24 degrees. Its a 7 day wine kit

My guess is your lid is leaking, but don't worry it will be sealed enough. The water will overflow out of the top of the airlock if it's too full, even with the cap on. I put it on just to stop dust, but again don't get too worried about it.

I was starting to think something wasn't working as it should.

Thanks for the reassurance :-)

crofty83 said:
Brews been going for about 2 days now at 24 degrees. Its a 7 day wine kit
24C is a bit high especially for wine it would be better if you have in between 18c and 21c.

maybe there is a little too much water in the airlock but as the co2 builds in the F.V. it will push the water out and find its own level. I have started putting the lids back on my airlocks as the bubbling is less noisey with it on. I keep my F.V.'s in the spare room next to my bedroom and I thought the noise was the wife snoring !!! :rofl:

i like to fill my airlocks up to half way up the first bulb on each side, i've found that gives off the least amount of sound and it wont take to much pressure to shift it so you'll get nice quiet single bubbles.

Latest posts

Back