Is this fake yeast??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
Just got these off eBay. Pretty sure they’re generic **** yeast that the seller has stuck a paper printed out label over 😒

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 8
Not being a smart **** but why order yeast off eBay? Do none of the UK suppliers offer postal shipping for tiny items?

Not being a smart **** but why order yeast off eBay? Do none of the UK suppliers offer postal shipping for tiny items?
IMO, no. Most (CML excepted) don't do cheaper postage for small items. Others are £2 or so for royal mail.

I've ordered MJ yeast on eBay when it's hard to get from homebrewer suppliers or excessive postage. But you take your risks (last batch arrived on 29th April with BBE date of end if April!).

Just got these off eBay. Pretty sure they’re generic **** yeast that the seller has stuck a paper printed out label over 😒
That looks totally fake. I would put money on that being bread yeast.

I would complain and get a refund. Or contact eBay saying it's counterfeit.

Bottom left it says packaged by and then I can't make out the wording. What does it say?
Maltmaster, I assume we're talking about this guy who looks like a random who has set up an online LHBS in his garage in Braintree. Could be a scam, but equally repacking yeast is something that both CML and GEB do. I guess it's up to you if you think it's worth the risk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/themaltmaster

In fairness the seller states that the 11g bags of yeast have been repackaged by ‘themselves’ from bigger bags and are tried and tested.
I suppose you have to make your own mind up.
Sometime ago I purchased a re-packed Lager yeast from a well known on-line seller that was absolute rubbish and failed to start, In their defence they referred my problem back to the manufacturer but it was never resolved and I ended up dumping the brew.
Lesson learnt I personally don’t buy any repackaged yeasts but that’s not say that other’s experience is a more positive one.

If it was me I would bin it and kick up a stink with ebay. If it's been re-packaged I wouldn't trust it to be sanitary. There's no way I'd risk wasting half a day brewing, not to mention the money for the ingredients.

Looks like you got exactly what was described in the listing. If anything, less deceptive than other vendors that create the illusion of unique products. With the same risk of contamination.

Last edited:
Same applies to all the CML yeasts that people love so much though. And Mangrove Jack for that matter...
I think there is a bit of a difference in trust between a global redistributor (MJ), a national one (CML) and a random person on eBay.

Yes, there are no guarantees any of them are sanitary, but I trust the big players (because if they didn't do it an acceptable fashion, we would have heard about it). The same can't be said for a random eBay vendor

As above, the most likely explanation is they've split a 500g bag of Nottingham into 11g sachets. Wouldn't bother me massively, although there is a bit of a risk of contamination and really it should be stored cold as it's already been opened from the manufacturer, but not a huge issue if used fairly soon. I've bought packs from CML and presumably they do something similar

Imo there is defo something fake about it. The seller definitely has some explaining to do.

Here is why......

Small professional packers (cml) use labels on rolls. The sachets would be labelled quickly and accurately. The pouch would be generic (blank & silver or white)

A large modern factory (lallemand) won't even have labels. The preprinted foil wrapper is the label.

This appears to have pre printed foil and a label. Hmmm

The label is wonky. And not printed to the edges.

So....

Wet your finger and rub the print. If it runs or blurs it is a home ink jet printer and not professionally produced label.

A gentle blow with the hair dryer might very well warm the glue enough peel it off, to find what is underneath (which looks preprinted already, judging by the edge).

I would definitely speak to the seller.

Will you tell us the answer?

Last edited:
Back