Issue with Deluxe Sodastream Cylinder Adapter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeJayCee

Reaction score
Taking my first foray into CO2. I've got a Kegland Deluxe Sodastream Cylinder Adapter and their MK4 regulator.

I bought the adapter from eBay but it is meant to be new (and looks unused).

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/deluxe-sodastream-cylinder-adapter-with-pin-adjustment
The Sodastream adapter has a screw-in pin that is meant to let the gas out.
Once the cylinder is attached to the adapter and then the regulator, when I start to screw it in, the gas leaks through the threads on the screw in pin.
The whole point of this "deluxe" adapter is that the screw-in pin removes the "leak" of gas when connecting the cylinder.

I've wrapped the pin in PTFE tape and its stopped the problem - but on unscrewing the pin the pressure is too great for the PTFE tape and it either leaks or shoots the pin out!

Anyone had a similar problem to this?

Mine leaked on all metal-metal threads until taped but no issues with the pin. It should be 100% in when under pressure so not able to leak? Yours doesn’t sound quite right, if the seller is a shop then worth asking.

The gas should not be able to pass by the brass poppet valve to reach the threaded pin. The problem I found was that the fit of this was not good and seemed as though the o-rings on it were too small or the whole thing is just badly made out of tolerance. I put a small o-ring on the tip of the valve to seal it. It will still leak a bit when you first do it up but do this quickly. also make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place.

Mine leaked on all metal-metal threads until taped but no issues with the pin. It should be 100% in when under pressure so not able to leak? Yours doesn’t sound quite right, if the seller is a shop then worth asking.
Unfortunately bought from a random seller on eBay, but I've emailed Kegland to see if they have any ideas.

The gas should not be able to pass by the brass poppet valve to reach the threaded pin. The problem I found was that the fit of this was not good and seemed as though the o-rings on it were too small or the whole thing is just badly made out of tolerance. I put a small o-ring on the tip of the valve to seal it. It will still leak a bit when you first do it up but do this quickly. also make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place.
Seems a shame if it even leaks a little bit - that's the whole point of this "deluxe" adapter.

I'm considering just PTFEing the pin and winding it in fully and essentially making it like the non-deluxe adapter. But I'm concerned that those small threads will be under the full pressure of the cylinder, and they seem pretty small!

Kegland asked for a video. Thought I’d share it here in case you folk have any clever ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_8624.MOV
    41.5 MB
Odd? It is not right. I thought this would concerning an adjuster for correctly pushing the cylinder pin? But no. It's a needle valve to allow you to attach it to the cylinder but not release the gas until everything is fitted together (nope, you can't do that ordinarily). So: To operate as a needle valve that thread must remain sealed!

As it doesn't, it is faulty! I'm surprised the thread itself is expected to seal. It has to hold back about 60BAR of pressure (that's BAR, not PSI which would be ... off the top of me head ... 860-ish PSI?). There might be another seal, which is missing!

There is an internal “valve” or “pin” which has two o-rings on it. Both are present and it seems a reasonably tight fit.

Here is the part at Kegland: Replacement pin with o-rings - Deluxe Sodastream Cylinder Adapter
Nope. But it does suggest that silver (steel) screw isn't a "needle valve", it probably bears on the angles that pin to operate it. It's that steel screw that isn't sealing.

That's getting complicated: The gas on the other side of that steel pin shouldn't be able to force itself through that thread. That will be obvious to you too. Therefore, that item is ... (fill your own words in). Be interesting if Kegland come up with anything different.

There are two versions of the sodastream adapter. The simple one you have to look down the barrel so to speak and adjust the button that pushes on the cylinder button to get the gas to flow. If you don't have it screwed in enough the button on the cylinder isn't depressed and no gas will flow. Hence you need to adjust it to press down and when you attach it gas will then escape.
The deluxe is meant to be attached and then you can use the thumb screw to press down the cylinder button to let the gas flow.
It shouldn't leak around the threads when you screw it on.

Do note that the AU NZ sodastream cylinders have a different thread to the UK ones, so you do need the correct adapter.

Do you have the nylon washer in the MK4 Stem where it attaches?

Can't completely tell from the video but the regulator is turned off isn't it?

Sodastream cylinders are expensive gas dispensed cheaply ( in the short term). The adapter to fill sodastream cylinders is a good investment once you have a big cylinder if you use a lot of sodastream product.

... Do note that the AU NZ sodastream cylinders have a different thread to the UK ones, so you do need the correct adapter. ...
Absolutely! You down there clung on to the old 1/2" BSP thread, whereas the rest of the world switched to a weird "trapezoid" thread designated "TR21-4".

Things started to make sense when I looked up the details the manufacturer puts out:

https://www.kegland.com.au/cdn/shop..._to_Replace_O-rings.pdf?v=1247863686720670757
And their piccies:

https://www.kegland.com.au/cdn/shop...b414-d30bdbe47257.jpg?v=1687335726&width=1400
The gas shouldn't go anywhere near that silver thumb screw, let alone escape from its threads. It could be caused by O-rings on that "pin", but this item is supposedly new.

Attachments

• 1695628913557.png
    1695628913557.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 0
Maybe a stupid question but is it because the cylinder is laid flat therefore liquid is coming out not gas?

I initially has the cylinder up-right, same issue. Had to lay it flat to record :)

Do note that the AU NZ sodastream cylinders have a different thread to the UK ones, so you do need the correct adapter.

Do you have the nylon washer in the MK4 Stem where it attaches?

Can't completely tell from the video but the regulator is turned off isn't it?

Sodastream cylinders are expensive gas dispensed cheaply ( in the short term). The adapter to fill sodastream cylinders is a good investment once you have a big cylinder if you use a lot of sodastream product.
The box was labelled with the SKU for the UK version.

The nylon washer is in the MK4 stem. Regulator is turned off.

My intention was to use the sodastream as an intro to CO2 before graduating to a "real" cylinder.

Absolutely! You down there clung on to the old 1/2" BSP thread

Things started to make sense when I looked up the details the manufacturer puts out:

Agreed

The gas shouldn't go anywhere near that silver thumb screw, let alone escape from its threads. It could be caused by O-rings on that "pin"

Steady on I'm a Brit who brought a Hambleton bard cylinder down here who quietly collects the lesser spotted King keg or Boots pressure keg.
So not my idea. But my soda stream adventures taught me the hard way about the difference.

I initially has the cylinder up-right, same issue. Had to lay it flat to record :)

The box was labelled with the SKU for the UK version.

The nylon washer is in the MK4 stem. Regulator is turned off.

My intention was to use the sodastream as an intro to CO2 before graduating to a "real" cylinder.

The adapter you bought should work and I started the same way. It should not be leaking through the thumb screw only into the regulator.

Picture of the non deluxe adapter there's an Allen key but you have to adjust before screwing it on.
IMG_20230925_215830.jpg

Bit of a faff / gas leak setting it up.

My experience with kegland is that if you don't buy it directly from them ( ie in Australia) then the supplier is your point of call / help. Often they say we've never heard of this problem anyway.
"Speak to your supplier."

Seems like Kegland don't know why this is happening, but they've asked for a photo of the internal pin and o-rings.

Here they are for your viewing pleasure - anyone see anything wrong? Looks ok to my untrained eye.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Looks okay, any burr or defect in the hole?

That’s a good question. Looking very closely at the “inside chamber” reveals this at the back. I presume it’s not meant to be there?

It looks like there is a hole through to the “pipe” that connects the two ends of the adapter.

ED4A8914-4206-4EA6-B344-B6F82583D69E.jpeg

C63DF240-2CD5-492E-A3B7-CC3E5850A2C1.jpeg

3D1EC85E-F6D5-45B7-82D4-D0573AC9B918.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back