Newbie Kegerator Gas Issues and General Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need a section of 3/8 between reducers and tap/ball lock or just use the reducers on its own.
I’m using a Sankey coupler so don’t have a tap/ball lock so my thinking is 3/8 pipe from the Barb on the coupler then reducer then 3/16 and the same on the other end. Does that sound right?

I’m using a Sankey coupler so don’t have a tap/ball lock so my thinking is 3/8 pipe from the Barb on the coupler then reducer then 3/16 and the same on the other end. Does that sound right?
Yes it does sound correct. You can get screw on connectors that go on the sankey to let you use ball locks ( my setup ) but barbs, oetker clamps to 3/8 tube then reducer and repeat at the tap will work. Make sure you ram all the tubes in far enough, test all connections, don't bend the connector to pipe too much that will cause a leak. Consider a non return valve on the gas side so no liquid can get back into your regulator and wreck it.

Use this beer line calculator to help you work out the length of beer line related to pipe diameter ( and a couple of other factors).

https://www.brewingcalculators.com/beer-line-length/

I have the same experience, was a great result in improving the quality of the beer coming out BUT it's a lot slower (which may not be a bad thing) but it it certainly not like I see in other videos where they have beer pouring out and fill a glass in 30 seconds

Are you using 3/8 beer line ?
One way is to make up a beer line reducer replacing most of your beer line with 3/16. Have a look here at the pic and you will see what I mean its under more product details..
Complete Dispense Set Up with Optional Keg(s) - You choose your ideal keg

I think they do the reduced beer line as a kit somewhere on the site
He said he has a flow control tap. Does that not do the job without the need for a reducer? I'm going to order a kit myself in a few weeks and I'm wondering if the flow control tap is worth the extra money.

in my opinion no, i bought a normal nuka tap then 2 flow control taps, the normal one is really good i have connected with 3/16th line and it pours a great pint, the other 2 are phis i just cannot get them right they are both just sat doing nothing

I'm not happy with my nukataps either. Maybe I'll try the new ultratap twist when I put my next order.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kegland flow control disconnects? They seem like they could be useful.
Have got one of the metal kegland flow control ball locks. It does not work as well as promised with a short tube ( about 45cm).
I use it for sample from kegs only.
My keg fridge I used balanced line length which works well.

Keezer has been built and just waiting for the collar glue to cure. Can someone let me know if the 2.45m length sounds right? Just seems a bit long to me and I'm assuming the calculator doesn't take into account the 3/8 to 3/16 and back to 3/8 setup.
Screenshot_20230213-063654.png

Last edited:
I am getting rid of 2 Ultratap Twists in the near future if you have not upgraded already.

In the meantime I've read it won't be an upgrade. Still looking for something decent. Maybe a lukr for lagers, but that would be overkill for fizzies. And found it very comfortable to drink straight from the unitank, through and overpriced hard to clean coil, so most of my brews not even make it to a keg nowdays.

Latest posts

Back