Newbie Kegerator Gas Issues and General Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prottey

Reaction score
Hello! I’m new here and new to home kegerators. I recently built one and have everything working ok but have a couple issues I wanted to ask you experts about.

I’m using a nukatap flow control faucet and Kegland MK4 co2 regulator with the SodaStream attachment.

I got a commercial keg of tiny rebel clwb tropic but have had some issues dispensing. I connected a SodaStream canister and left it on and could hear the flow of gas constantly while it was open and at around 10-12 psi. Is the most likely cause of this a leak? Any other reason why it would drain the canister completely in a couple hours? Like I said I’m new to this, am I correct in thinking that the gas should only be pulled once the tap is open and dispensing beer?

I have read on this forum that some people only turn the gas on when dispensing and turn it off all other times. Is this something which I should be doing? Does it effect the pour of the beer at all?

The beer has also been coming out very foamy. I think this was due to the keg being too warm which I have since rectified by cooling to around the correct temp from what I’ve read but are there any other reasons for this?

Sorry for any stupid questions but I just want to get my set up pouring well for the World Cup as well as not waste any co2 or beer unnecessarily!

Thanks in advance.

Yep sounds like a leak. As you're not force carbonating you're correct that gas should only flow to offset the drop in pressure when you pour. What pressure is your regulator set to?

What fittings are you using? John Guest/Duotight?

Last edited:
Yep sounds like a leak. As you're not force carbonating you're correct that gas should only flow to offset the drop in pressure when you pour. What pressure what your regulator set to?

What fittings are you using? John Guest/Duotight
Cheers mate. Yeah I thought as much.

Regulator is set to 10-12 psi. The gas going out of the regulator is a John guest push-fit I think. The rest are metal barbs.

I've always used push fit and haven't a leak, but plenty of people use barbs with no issue so that's not necessarily the problem.

What sort of regulator do you have for the sodastream canister?

I've always used push fit and haven't a leak, but plenty of people use barbs with no issue so that's not necessarily the problem.

It’s the Kegland MK4 co2 regulator. Is there a test I can do to find a leak?

Do you have an adapter for the sodastream canister too?

When I used a sodastream canister years ago my adapter had two o-rings in it (one a spare), which I didn't realise at first, which meant it didn't seal properly.

It’s the Kegland MK4 co2 regulator. Is there any test I can do to find a leak?
Do you have an adapter for the sodastream canister too?

When I used a sodastream canister years ago my adapter had two o-rings in it (one a spare), which I didn't realise at first, which meant it didn't seal properly.
Yeah it has an adaptor attached. And it had 2 o-rings but I only used the rubber one which is correct I believe. I’ll try the leak test with some washing up liquid and see what comes up from that. Thanks again for the advice.

If no luck, the Kegland Facebook group is a good community and may be able to advise any specifics to look out for with that regulator.
I think I worked out with the leak test that the push fit adapter wasn’t screwed tightly enough. However in trying to tighten it I snapped it 🙄. Anywhere you recommend getting a 3/8 to 3/8 push fit adapter?

Are you using 3/8 beer line ?
One way is to make up a beer line reducer replacing most of your beer line with 3/16. Have a look here at the pic and you will see what I mean its under more product details..
Complete Dispense Set Up with Optional Keg(s) - You choose your ideal keg

I think they do the reduced beer line as a kit somewhere on the site
Yeah I’m using 3/8 and had read that that can cause foaming. So I should get a reducer set and have most of the line as 3/16 to reduce foaming?

That is what i did and it worked a treat but the flow rate is a little slower.
Brewkegtap also do a kit that yses stem reducers but if you email them they will make one up with 1 stem rebucer and 1 inline reducer so you can leave a little 3/8ths on the barb fitting.
Beer line 3/16" Restriction Kit
Tbf I went on there and just ordered some 3/16 line and then 2 reducers so that should do the trick and I can leave the 3/8 on each of the ends. Thanks mate!

Latest posts

Back