It's a hung parliament.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about it, what is Labours realistic chances of competing at another GE?? DO they need SNP to die off?

THey are calling it a massive victory for Labour when I think its more a case they hughely exceeded expectation but they are no better off than 2010..

Brown resigned after this disaster whereas Corbyn is hailed after a Victory..

Funny how perception changes really isn't it.

2015. Conservatives get 36.9% of the vote.
2017. Conservatives get 44% of the vote.
Curious.:confused:

Thinking about it, what is Labours realistic chances of competing at another GE?? DO they need SNP to die off?

THey are calling it a massive victory for Labour when I think its more a case they hughely exceeded expectation but they are no better off than 2010..

I think the result will improve their chances in the next GE, anyone who thought they had not got a chance and voted for another party may now vote for them or those that didn't bother for the same reasons might like me this time vote for the first time in years.

I think the result will improve their chances in the next GE, anyone who thought they had not got a chance and voted for another party may now vote for them or those that didn't bother for the same reasons might like me this time vote for the first time in years.

agreed. The press has been saying for month that jezza is unelectable but the result turn all that on its head. It also might get even more young uns out to vote, as they can now see that that can make a difference. I read they had a voting percentage of 72% in this election

The worst Tory election campaign in living memory and Corbyn is still over 60 seats from a working majority. That's the reality.

The worst Tory election campaign in living memory and Corbyn is still over 60 seats from a working majority. That's the reality.

True. But with as with many things perception is important. According to the percecieved narrative this election was going to be almost a coronation for May with a majority of up to 150. Jezza was going to get trounced (and then probably replaced as leader on the back of it). But this didnt happen. If things break down with the DUP and we're forced into another election things might be a bit closer as people see that jezza isnt quite the lame duck the press has been making him out to be.
Of course the conservative will probably pull their socks up and make a better fist of any coming election campaign though.

I think we will hardly hear anything of the DUP in a few weeks time, they usually vote with Tory's anyway and there's only 10 of them.
Although the Momentum Twitterati will be going into overdrive for a while over it.

True. But with as with many things perception is important. According to the percecieved narrative this election was going to be almost a coronation for May with a majority of up to 150. Jezza was going to get trounced (and then probably replaced as leader on the back of it). But this didnt happen. If things break down with the DUP and we're forced into another election things might be a bit closer as people see that jezza isnt quite the lame duck the press has been making him out to be.
Of course the conservative will probably pull their socks up and make a better fist of any coming election campaign though.

I think TM dropped the ball and JC stepped up to the plate a bit but otherwise it could have been a better result for the Blue corner.

Looks like her two closest advisers will be sacked to save her skin.

Prime Minister Theresa May has been warned she faces a leadership challenge on Monday unless she sacks her two closest advisers, the BBC understands.
One senior Tory said Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill were responsible for "the worst manifesto in history".
Sacking them was a "litmus test" for Mrs May to show she was willing to change after the election, they added.
Mrs May has said she intends to stay as prime minister despite failing to win a Conservative majority in the election.
The Tories needed 326 seats to win but fell short by eight. The DUP won 10.
She is expected to finalise her team of ministers later as she seeks to lead a government with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party.

the biggest problem we have is the Brexit itinerary which is quickly looming on the horizon,in normal circumstanmces I would think there would be a second GE following fairly quickly on from this one as in 74 but we have to get round the table with the EU in 9 days time so no time for that and as the party with the lasrgest popular vote and most seats it has to be the torys to conduct those talks.not the best outcome but atm the only one.i hope at least May has learned something out of this debacle for the countrys sake

Brexit negotiation would be simple for me. Starting point, not for negotiation or discussion, would be......................
1. All agreement on trade and treatment of foreign nationals to be reciprocal
2. No EU law or court will be superior to UK law.
3. We will have total control of immigration.
4. Our 200 mile limit will be managed entirely by the UK.
5. We will pay for previously agreed liabilities until the day we leave when all liabilities will be considered to have ended.
6. No punitive payments to compensate for EU's losses when we leave.
7. There is no point 7.
8. We shall leave before 2019, if possible to reduce our costs.
That should sort it.

Latest posts

Back