John Bull IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1002 could that just be a result of putting lots of sugar in (perhaps too much) and it thinning out?

Crack one open and just to try it..:thumb:

Hi Covrich, no, the Evil Dog is a two can kit and comes with a whopping 4.7kg of extract so no sugar added. Yes, just opened one.

clibit - "Sorry to worry you.."

On the contrary, thanks for warning me. If I have 40 bottles of poison that could explode in my face I'd much prefer to know sooner rather than later so I can toss them and start again.

But it's good news! I'm drinking one now and although it still tastes very raw it seems fine. Bit cloudy yet, no head and carbonation is strange. Lemonade type bubbles which had all disappeared within 20 minutes leaving an almost completely flat beer.
Hopefully a couple of months conditioning will improve all the above.

P.s. This is strong stuff! Just finished the glass and I can really feel it :drunk:

That's great news. Just keep an eye on it. :pray: Mine was fine initially. Sorry - again. :evil:

Oh I see what you mean, so it could still turn bad on me?
Well I'll heed your advice and 'keep an eye on it' ( :drink:) every couple of weeks
Thanks again clibit

P.s. This is strong stuff! Just finished the glass and I can really feel it :drunk:

Isn't it just! Mine ended at 1006 - but I've had plenty of beers go under that when left for 4 weeks. How long was it in primary? I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hi Robert, 26 days in the primary. It was my very first kit and I made so many mistakes with it that I lost count, including over diluting by about 2l. You were one of the guys who helped me through the 'crisis' :pray:
My OG was lower than yours at 1060 because of the extra dilution. I wonder, is it possible that this could cause a lower fg?

Hi guys, I started my JB IPA off a few days ago and something's been playing on my mind a bit. I added 1.85Kg of fermentables but when I measured the SG/OG before adding the yeast, it was only 1040. At the time I put it down to my lack of experience at reading a hydrometer but is it possible that I didn't stir the wort thoroughly enough as I was topping it up to 23L? If so, is this likely to cause a problem?

How long after mixing it up did you take your reading?
The exact same thing happened to me. I added 2kg and my reading was similar to yours but I took it as soon as I'd stopped stirring. I was so puzzled that I started a thread about it but when I took another reading 10 minutes later OG had risen to something like 1056! It was because the sugars hadn't fully dissolved.
The only problem I know of regarding not stirring thoroughly enough is that it may not oxygenate the wort as much as the yeast likes.
But assuming fermentation starts ok they will eventually find and metabolise all the sugars so you should be fine.

Thanks BT, that's good to know.

I took the reading almost immediately after topping the FV up to 23L.

When I first added the sugar and brew enhancer to the malt and about 2L of boiled water in the bottom of the FV, I gave it a very thorough stirring. When topping the FV up to 23L I poured the water in slowly and from some height, to make sure it was aerated (there was a nice thick, white head on the wort by the time it was fully topped up).

The only thing I didn't do (as far as I can remember) was stir it thoroughly again once topped up.

Hi Robert, 26 days in the primary. It was my very first kit and I made so many mistakes with it that I lost count, including over diluting by about 2l. You were one of the guys who helped me through the 'crisis' :pray:
My OG was lower than yours at 1060 because of the extra dilution. I wonder, is it possible that this could cause a lower fg?

Yeah that sounds plausible to me. How's it tasting now?

Thanks BT, that's good to know.

I took the reading almost immediately after topping the FV up to 23L.

When I first added the sugar and brew enhancer to the malt and about 2L of boiled water in the bottom of the FV, I gave it a very thorough stirring. When topping the FV up to 23L I poured the water in slowly and from some height, to make sure it was aerated (there was a nice thick, white head on the wort by the time it was fully topped up).

The only thing I didn't do (as far as I can remember) was stir it thoroughly again once topped up.

I always add the sugar/fermentables to the boiling water and mix that up thoroughly before adding the malt. The malt cools down the mix and makes it harder to dissolve the sugars etc. Then I add water 2l at a time (use bottled water - 17p a bottle at Tesco etc) and stir/agitate it thoroughly after adding each 2l. That always yields me an SG that correlates with the estimates that the SG calculator gives me. Hope that helps.

I always add the sugar/fermentables to the boiling water and mix that up thoroughly before adding the malt. The malt cools down the mix and makes it harder to dissolve the sugars etc. Then I add water 2l at a time (use bottled water - 17p a bottle at Tesco etc) and stir/agitate it thoroughly after adding each 2l. That always yields me an SG that correlates with the estimates that the SG calculator gives me. Hope that helps.

Yes, that makes sense. In future I'll do something similar.

Do you think my mistake will affect my brew in any way other than the inaccurate SG reading?

Yeah that sounds plausible to me. How's it tasting now?

The last one I tried tasted nice but still pretty raw after just 4 weeks bottled. That was only a week ago and I'm expecting to wait at least another month to taste a real improvement.
Does that sound about right? How long did yours take to lose the 'green' taste and get to the delicious stage?

Yes, that makes sense. In future I'll do something similar.

Do you think my mistake will affect my brew in any way other than the inaccurate SG reading?

Nah it'll be fine. Just give it a full 3 weeks in primary to make sure all the sugar has been discovered and converted; because using your hydrometer won't be able to tell you due to the sugar not being dissolved properly. Obviously you won't know exactly how strong it is now. Otherwise - just enjoy!

The last one I tried tasted nice but still pretty raw after just 4 weeks bottled. That was only a week ago and I'm expecting to wait at least another month to taste a real improvement.
Does that sound about right? How long did yours take to lose the 'green' taste and get to the delicious stage?

How long was it in primary? Mine had 3 weeks with a fish tank heater keeping it at a solid 23 degrees - and I used spring water - so it might not be comparable time-wise. I also only warm-conditioned which speeds up the process I believe. But all in all 8 weeks from pitching the yeast it was very nice. Obviously it's improving still - almost definitely the last pint will be the best by far haha.

Nah it'll be fine. Just give it a full 3 weeks in primary to make sure all the sugar has been discovered and converted; because using your hydrometer won't be able to tell you due to the sugar not being dissolved properly. Obviously you won't know exactly how strong it is now. Otherwise - just enjoy!

Great stuff, cheers.

How long was it in primary? Mine had 3 weeks with a fish tank heater keeping it at a solid 23 degrees - and I used spring water - so it might not be comparable time-wise. I also only warm-conditioned which speeds up the process I believe. But all in all 8 weeks from pitching the yeast it was very nice. Obviously it's improving still - almost definitely the last pint will be the best by far haha.

Mine was 3.5 weeks at about 19 degrees. So far I'm at week 9 since pitching and although it's nice it still tastes a lot greener than yours sounds.
Maybe those first brew errors I made have had some effect after all. I'll be patient and hope for improvements over time.
I'm going to keep a few back as well just to see whether further long term improvements are worth the wait.
Thinking about my next one already but might wait for your verdict on the Bad Cat replacement.

Mine was 3.5 weeks at about 19 degrees. So far I'm at week 9 since pitching and although it's nice it still tastes a lot greener than yours sounds.
Maybe those first brew errors I made have had some effect after all. I'll be patient and hope for improvements over time.
I'm going to keep a few back as well just to see whether further long term improvements are worth the wait.
Thinking about my next one already but might wait for your verdict on the Bad Cat replacement.

The teplacmeent kit is 6 days in and smells absolutely delicious :mrgreen:

I brewed this as my first ever kit last week.

I used 1kg of youngs beer enhancer and a pot of honey. When I boiled up the water I also added some earl grey tea bags. I've had an early grey IPA in the past and it was really good. Hopefully this will turn out good and not too overpowering.

I will update at bottling in couple of weeks

Latest posts

Back