Just wondering...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylanc1975

Regular.
Reaction score
So Piddledribble's post has got me thinking... I know I can't even begin to afford an AG set-up, but puravida put up a cracking post on how to do BIAB using a sod off large stock pot, couple of bits of muslin and other bits and bobs that I've got. My question is, if I do go down this BIAB route, is the recipe and methodology the same as if I was doing AG? By this I mean I see in all your recipes that you boil for so long, add hops at this point or that point, add so much water and such, would I use those same measurements doing BIAB?

Also (and perhaps more importantly!!), what would I put in my signature? Would a BIAB count as an AG??

many thanks! :cheers:

BIAB is AG. End of.

The only difference is that instead of using a mashtun to mash and sparge the grains, you use a bag in a big pot.

The stuff after that - the boiling, hop adding, cooling and fermenting is all the same as AG.

Go on...you know you want to... :twisted: :twisted:

Biab is the nearest you will get to AG without all the pots etc you still use grains you still need to regulate temps but you add grains into muslin bag then after mashing drain into the pot boil with hops and then back liquor to get the desired volume that's pretty much it

Cheers fellas! Looks like I'll be hunting down some muslin and a large stock pot :D

AG HERE I COME! :twisted:

I've just done my 3rd AG brew today using a BIAB technique known as Maxi-BIAB.

My Electrim boiler holds 30l to the brim so I mashed with 20L of water then dunked the grain bag in an additional 10L of hot water for 10 minutes to do a sparge. That can be done in a bucket although I have a stock pot which I use, 10L was too much so next time I'll use 8L. At the end of the boil I diluted back to the full brew length by adding a couple of litres of tap water to the FV.

I insulate the boiler during the mash using a hot water cylinder jacket
The bag is made from net curtain material and I have a 2nd that I use as a hop sock
I bought my boiler cheaply but there are several people who have made their own with a kettle element and FV.

I'm very excited to be doing my first full-length BIAB this weekend.

The sum total of my equipment (except the fermentation stage of course) is a massive (70l) pot and a couple of grain bags that my Mum's rattled up on her sewing machine!!

Doesn't get easier than that!

Latest posts

Back