Keg carbing question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi I have kegerator set up two kegs one Co2 tank running to the two with a jg splitter. I only have the two keg set up recent and when I was carving up the two kegs at same time put gas at thirty left for two days the. Dropped it down to serving pressure and was good to go.the issue I have now is that one keg has emptied have another one ready to connect and carb up was wondering if I connect it up take grey disconnect of other keg and crank pressure back up to thirty would this be okay or would there be gas coming out the grey disconnect I unhooked..

The disconnect (and I think I can presume Corny keg from your description) shouldn't leak. Remove the disconnect and it should instantly close itself up.

The disconnect (and I think I can presume Corny keg from your description) shouldn't leak. Remove the disconnect and it should instantly close itself up.

So if I take the gas disconnect out of keg that is already carved leave it aside and stick the other grey keg in the uncarbbed keg wake the gas up to thirty and leave for two days no gas should leak put of ideal disconnect .. last thing I want is to get up next morning to find my Co2 empty from leak

Hi!
The disconnect does not allow CO2 to escape when disconnected. If you are worried about this, have a single gas line going directly to the keg from the tank.
This might be a good thing for your Christmas list: http://www.rlbs.ltd.uk/portfolio/v3002-secondary-regulator/
You could have one keg carbing 30psi and the other at serving pressure.
They are about £20 each, plus postage.

If you want peace of mind, disconnect your grey disconnects, turn on the gas, put a bit of soapy water in and all over the grey disconnect. If it bubbles you know it's letting some gas out, if it doesn't your all good.

Hi I have kegerator set up two kegs one Co2 tank running to the two with a jg splitter. I only have the two keg set up recent and when I was carving up the two kegs at same time put gas at thirty left for two days the. Dropped it down to serving pressure and was good to go.the issue I have now is that one keg has emptied have another one ready to connect and carb up was wondering if I connect it up take grey disconnect of other keg and crank pressure back up to thirty would this be okay or would there be gas coming out the grey disconnect I unhooked..
I have a similar setup and do this all the time. Never had a problem.

I wrote a short primer on CO2 management. You might find it helpful as you are being recommended secondary regulators.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67424

It's worth getting to know the CO2 side of things - for example the secondary regulator exampled above cost twice what I pay, and I end up with a considerably more accurate regulator too (http://www.shako-online-sales.com/frl/regulators/miniature-regulator-nr200-01-nr200-02 but leave these alone unless you're well-versed with the stuff).

Last edited:
. . . the "secondary" regulator exampled above cost twice what I pay, and I end up with a considerably more accurate regulator too.

Hi!
Why the quotation marks? Is it not a secondary regulator?
The 1/4" BSP thread to John Guest 3/8 push fit connectors are about £5 each, and the pressure gauge is about £10, so like for like your regulator comes in at about £35.

Hi!
The disconnect does not allow CO2 to escape when disconnected. If you are worried about this, have a single gas line going directly to the keg from the tank.
This might be a good thing for your Christmas list: http://www.rlbs.ltd.uk/portfolio/v3002-secondary-regulator/
You could have one keg carbing 30psi and the other at serving pressure.
They are about ��£20 each, plus postage.
How do these secondary regulators work do I connect it instead of the splitter and one output on the secondary delivers pressure of the main regulator and the second output delivers pressure set on secondary regulator to the second keg is that how it works
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222343694341 is this one

Hi!
Yes, you've got it!
One exit port is uncontrolled (i.e. the pressure of the input port, set by the regulator on the gas bottle) while the other is controlled by the actual regulator.
The one you found on ebay looks to do the job, but it doesn't have a gauge to indicate the controlled pressure. There seems to be a port on top for a gauge, but that means an extra tenner or perhaps less for a gauge.
I set my bottle pressure at 20psi, then one of my kegs can be carbonating, while the secondary regulator is set at 12psi to serve from the other keg.
I have three kegs and 3 secondary regulators - I use the output from the final port to gas individual bottles using a carbonation cap.
This is what I got: http://cfbsonline.co.uk/index.php/secondary-gas-regulator-0-45psi-3-bar.html
With postage, it comes out at about £30, but others I've looked at were 40 to 50 quid each.

Hi!
Why the quotation marks? Is it not a secondary regulator?
The 1/4" BSP thread to John Guest 3/8 push fit connectors are about £5 each, and the pressure gauge is about £10, so like for like your regulator comes in at about £35.
It's only a "secondary" if it's got a "primary" upstream of it. They might be attached to 10BAR air compressors directly. They are not designed just for CO2 bottles. <4 quid for both connectors, <3 quid for the gauge (option when buying regulator). And the regulator is priced without VAT! But I did add a proviso not to go with these unless confident of knowing what you're doing. My post was an encouragement to learn about what you're doing, not to sell Shako stuff!

. . . the "secondary" regulator exampled above cost twice what I pay, and I end up with a considerably more accurate regulator too

Hi!
I read your comments as meaning, "The chump who recommended secondary regulators doesn't have a clue what he's talking about."
The OP obviously has a set up comprising a CO2 tank and a primary regulator with a splitter to gas up two kegs. I was merely pointing out the advantages of being able to control the pressure going into each keg individually.

Oops, I've just seen my post was talking about the secondary regulator you were recommending, not the regulator I exampled, so the quotes in my post were entirely un-necessary and seem to still be causing misinterpretation. (So I've removed them!).

Amazing how offensive (inadvertently) you can be with a pair of quotes! Sorry.

I'd agree, it is a huge advantage to control the pressure going into each keg individually. I say as much in the primer I linked. It has to be an advantage for me as I'm serving British "cask-conditioned" styles (<2PSI) plus "American" and Continental styles (>15PSI) using the same CO2 bottle. (And the quotes around American are because all the American styles I've done are from DIYDog; so Scottish styles perhaps ... na).

Hi!
You're primer is very good - excellent information for the first-time gas passer :lol:
I could have saved much time searching for information if I could have read it first.
Thanks again.

Hi!
You're primer is very good - excellent information for the first-time gas passer :lol:
I could have saved much time searching for information if I could have read it first.
Thanks again.
That's why I wrote it. The searching for information over the past few years. If I was too late to save you the chore, I can only hope it will save others newly embarking on the subject (like the author of this thread perhaps?).

But in a year the primer will have disappeared without trace and newcomers will be back to figuring it out themselves (cheerful sole aren't I).

That's why I wrote it. The searching for information over the past few years. If I was too late to save you the chore, I can only hope it will save others newly embarking on the subject (like the author of this thread perhaps?).

But in a year the primer will have disappeared without trace and newcomers will be back to figuring it out themselves (cheerful sole aren't I).

Maybe see if you can get the primer stickied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back