Kegerator build - tap shank collar leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a 3 tap kegerator out of a fridge that's already been used as one - very handy that the shank holes and gas hole were already drilled!.

I bought a 3-tap kit from Angel Homebrew (who I'm asking the same question to of course but have found the brains trust on here a cut above most suppliers).

It includes brand new tap shanks and brand new Nukatap FC taps with self-closing springs.

Having connected up everything - gas and liquid - I've only 3 leaks, and they are between the collar of each tap shank and the tap.

There isn't a washer between the tap and the shank and the Kegland product video seems to confirm that's as it should be.

Does anyone know better? Is it just a matter of tightening the collars insanely tightly? Would PTFE tape help? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I had the same issue. I noticed even when done up pretty darn tight, there was play/wobble where the tap met the shank. I ended up doing it insanely tight which worked, but I am not sure it is meant to be this way. I'll be interested to see what Angel Homebrew come back with.

I have the same taps but didn't have any issues with leaks. I didn't overly tighten them and didn't use any PTFE on the threads. Maybe try and nip them up a bit tighter ?

On my 3rd build I had the same issue. You need to make sure they are tight, not just hand tight. You can buy a tool to do the job.

Back