Kegging considerations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
I have:

3 x 23l kit brews ready to keg.
10 x 30l polykegs
Gas line
Beer line
3 x Sankey S connectors
3 x nice chrome taps

On Saturday I will have:

1 x pub size CO2 bottle

What you will clearly see is missing is my regulator - that isn't going to show up until next week.

I take it the normal process, particularly when not completely filling a keg is to purge with CO2 then rack and seal.

Now, without a reg, purging isn't going to be easy but I am highly proficient in inflating airbeds directly from SCUBA bottles so the mechanics of it should be OK.

The question is, how do you know you've got most of the O2 out? Do you bother testing or just blow in plenty CO2 and hope for the best?

The plan is to keg condition these (on account of no reg yet) so I guess I don't have to be quite so careful this time, but how do you do it for force carbed beers?

By smell.

When you're purging air you will smell nothing where the gas comes out.

When your nose tingles (like when you first open a fizzy drink) then it's C02 coming out.

Then you know the airs out as the C02 is heavier and pushes air from the bottom.

K

kev said:
By smell.

When you're purging air you will smell nothing where the gas comes out.

When your nose tingles (like when you first open a fizzy drink) then it's C02 coming out.

Then you know the airs out as the C02 is heavier and pushes air from the bottom.

K

:doh: f**king obvious really... :whistle: I may have been over thinking this... "O grade chemistry... CO2 extiguishes a burning splint..."

Aye. So simple you wouldn't think.

Just don't take a big lungful!

K

Latest posts

Back