kit red wine clearing question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a beaverdale red kit on the go.. it recommends leaving it to clear for between 3 and 7 days. Unfortunately I can't as I will be away.

I have added the stabiliser as it was fermented out.

Is it better to add the finings and leave it for longer, in my case about 2 weeks?

or leave it as is and add finings when i get back?

also - it came with oak sawdust that I used, will this "drop" to the bottom of the fv?

Some people with a very sensitive palate can detect a fishy taste if finings are left in contact with the wine to long but if that isn't you then you can either add the finings and leave it for a couple of weeks or do it when you get back, either way works. Yes the sawdust will drop to the bottom of the fermenter with the finings.

eeww! I havent done a red kit but I can taste the sardines already. I'll do it when i get back.

question though.. it'll be a good two weeks from me adding stabiliser. Will finings even be needed? after all there only purpose is to clear the wine and if left long enough wont it clear itself?

thanks.

I stabilised, degassed, then added the finings to a recent beaverdale, then left a further 9 days as I was busy. Crystal clear, and not a hint of makeral

Depends on the temperature, it will clear a lot quicker at lower temps. I rarely use finings these days, usually just let them sit for a month then bag up. Not so easy to clear in these hot temps though, finings will help a lot.

yes, I did rack at 1.010 into my pet carboy and there did seem to be some slury at the bottom, I am just not sure if all the sawdust was settled out.. I have now stabilised but go away on Thursday for 11 days. I wont add the finings now but will see how it looks when i get back. Will probably add finings then.

Latest posts

Back