Klarstein v's Burco setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been doing a bit of research into moving onto biab and narrowed it down to burco 30l boiler setup with extras or the Klarstein maischfest 5 piece set. Was looking for opinions from both owners of both setups.

I have been lurking on a few threads and read the various pros and cons with both setups on the forum around issues with maintaining mash temperature with Klarstein and possible size limitations with grain basket in Klarstein. I suppose I'm asking from using either burco or Klarstein, would you change your setup and if so why ?

There is not much difference in price at the minute based on just using amazon. I took the burco setup from items available on amazon to minimise additional delivery charges from separate retailers.
  • Boiler 30L - £89.17
  • stainless steel colander- £15.99
  • Tap conversion - £26
  • Biab bag - £12.99
  • Stainless steel wort chiller - £40.99
  • TOTAL £185.14
Klarstein maischfest £209.99. Includes
  • Wort chiller
  • Grain basket
  • Basket drip tray
  • Boiler

Cheers

Klarstein will have much better temperature control with the digital display and you can adjust in 1 degree increments, also you can set it for a rolling boil and it will do that, the Burco will just have a crappy dial and the boil will keep cutting out unless you customise it.

You forgot the cost of a false bottom to keep the bag off the bottom of the Burco there... Yeah, get the Klarstein, unless you are going much bigger, then get a bigger Klarstein..... lol

Klarstein will have much better temperature control with the digital display and you can adjust in 1 degree increments, also you can set it for a rolling boil and it will do that, the Burco will just have a crappy dial and the boil will keep cutting out unless you customise it.
I beg to differ as I have a Burco Cygnet for four years now and never cut out once,has a vigorous boil and you can calibrate the dial settings with a decent thermometer.Great build and very robust.

I beg to differ as I have a Burco Cygnet for four years now and never cut out once,has a vigorous boil and you can calibrate the dial settings with a decent thermometer.Great build and very robust.
OK, I stand corrected so far as rolling boil is concerned.

I removed the majority of the electrics from my buffalo and now it’s effectively a cable directly to the element, so it holds a strong rolling boil.

I added a 3 piece 1/2” ball valve and a layer of reflectix and a full volume biab mash would only lose maybe 1 degree over an hour long mash, and made a few good beers, but I have since added a PID, recirculation pump and basket. With the addition of a wort chiller, I’m up on grainfather prices, but I guess it wasn’t an up front payment and I built up to it.

If I was to do it all again I’d just stump up for a grainfather, or in this case a more purpose built item, but I suppose I have learned a lot more by going down the route I have, and all parts can eventually be moved over to a nicer vessel if/when the buffalo stops working.

What is swaying me at the minute is the inclusion of the grain basket in the klarstein. I do realise from lurking that the maximum the basket can take is 6kg. The first recipe I have looked at doesn't exceed that but obviously can't rule out going over that in future once I get into it a bit more..... decisions, decisions !!!

What is swaying me at the minute is the inclusion of the grain basket in the klarstein. I do realise from lurking that the maximum the basket can take is 6kg. The first recipe I have looked at doesn't exceed that but obviously can't rule out going over that in future once I get into it a bit more..... decisions, decisions !!!
You can just reduce your batch size for bigger beers if needed

My Burco is a Stone Age model (probably 40+ years old), and it simply has Low, Medium and High settings. I assume modern versions have rather more sophisticated temp control?

On the other hand, I can't fault it for durability and longevity! And it was free! But clearly, 'better' tools are available these days, at a price.l

The temperature control is now 1-5 and high. It holds a rolling boil on high. you get to know what temperature you get on all settings.

I have a Cygnet/Burco boiler. To go with it I have an Inkbird temperature controller, grain basket, plate chiller, and pump.

When it eventually dies I shall most likely buy another the same.
My thermostat burnt out a couple of years ago mid boil. So I bought another Burco. I then bought a new thermostat and spade connector so now I have two Burco's. I use the original as a HLT.

My thermostat burnt out a couple of years ago mid boil. So I bought another Burco. I then bought a new thermostat and spade connector so now I have two Burco's. I use the original as a HLT.

...or one 5KW 60 litre mash tun/kettle with dual grain beds and duplex vorlauf!! Bet not many people have that. 😂

I've separate mash tuns a stainless one from Powel Brewing which I've reinsulated and a cool box one. But if I buy a basket then game on.

I have a Cygnet/Burco boiler. To go with it I have an Inkbird temperature controller, grain basket, plate chiller, and pump.

When it eventually dies I shall most likely buy another the same.
Have been reading your brewday thread and it all looks very impressive indeed. I do have the inkbird but with everything else you have listed would bring me over my current budget.

My double Burco setup
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back