Klarstein v's Burco setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been reading your brewday thread and it all looks very impressive indeed. I do have the inkbird but with everything else you have listed would bring me over my current budget.

That’s fine, I wasn’t suggesting you should buy what I have. I was just telling you what I use and confirming I have no plans to change to something else, even when I have to replace it.

Thanks for your nice feedback though. 😉

That’s fine, I wasn’t suggesting you should buy what I have. I was just telling you what I use and confirming I have no plans to change to something else, even when I have to replace it.

Thanks for your nice feedback though. 😉

Sorry, could have worded my response a bit better. Your response was exactly what I asked for and requested in my original question. Very, very envious of your setup.

Just out of interest, do you know how much grain your basket holds ?

Sorry, could have worded my response a bit better. Your response was exactly what I asked for and requested in my original question. Very, very envious of your setup.

Just out of interest, do you know how much grain your basket holds ?

It holds about 5.5Kg. You can use a bag though if you want to keep the costs down to start. I used a bag for a while.

I have the 35l Klarstein Maishfest and i am pretty sure it holds more than 6kg of grain ?
You could be right. Thought I read it somewhere on the forum here but there is a distinct possibility I'm wrong

I have the 35l Klarstein Maishfest and i am pretty sure it holds more than 6kg of grain ?
I have just done a bit of searching and it seems that the 30l will take 8.5 kg of grain so i don't think you will have to many worries there .BTW ,go for the biggest one you can as you can always brew smaller brews but have the capacity if needed .

I have just done a bit of searching and it seems that the 30l will take 8.5 kg of grain so i don't think you will have to many worries there .BTW ,go for the biggest one you can as you can always brew smaller brews but have the capacity if needed .
Thanks. If I opt for the klarstein, will go for the 35l option as it is surprisingly the same price as the 30l at the minute.

@jayk34 If you wanted to save yourself a bit more money, I would get the Klarstein Fullhorn. Klarstein currently have it on offer at £149.99. It's a great bit of kit and holds a better boil than my Brewzilla. The custom grain bag they do is a bit overpriced (albeit well made) but I'm sure you could sub it out for a cheaper BIAB grain bag as the Fullhorn comes with a false bottom.

My Burco was bought 2nd hand and has a Simmerstat fitted (the white knob). It controls the % power to the element and works with the thermostat to give smoother temperature control.

I’ve just ordered a grain basket having been using a bag until know. I’ve gone for the one used by @Hazelwood. Just hope I don’t get stung for any customs charges when it arrives from China. 🤞

Attachments

• 67F244B4-0BED-4820-96D3-AC7D0E7226B3.jpeg
    67F244B4-0BED-4820-96D3-AC7D0E7226B3.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 48
Just another person with a Klarstein Maischfest here.

I did the same research as you with a similar budget and decided to go with the Klarstein, versus other setups, as it was the least faff and i didnt need to source this part or that part to make what i wanted.

I was originally going to get THIS, but decided with all the temp control and other gubbins i would end up spending more in the long run.

10 brews in, and a recirc pump addition later, I really like my set-up! And for the price it is a steal as it comes with the grain basket, chiller and temp control.

Look foward to hearing about your purchase and first brew day with it 👍

I had ordered a klarstein maischfest on the 4th of January this year and because of Brexit they said the delivery was 40 working days, so I was expecting it around the 1st of march. I emailed on the 1st of march and they said it might be dispatched in the next two weeks but they couldn't guarantee it. I cancelled there and then as there was no updates to that point and no guarantees. I got my money back and instead ordered a brewster beacon from geterbrewed and 3 days later I was brewing.
I was keen on the klarstein as it was half the price but the company has issues, hopefully its sorted now if your gonna order one.

I had ordered a klarstein maischfest on the 4th of January this year and because of Brexit they said the delivery was 40 working days, so I was expecting it around the 1st of march. I emailed on the 1st of march and they said it might be dispatched in the next two weeks but they couldn't guarantee it. I cancelled there and then as there was no updates to that point and no guarantees. I got my money back and instead ordered a brewster beacon from geterbrewed and 3 days later I was brewing.
I was keen on the klarstein as it was half the price but the company has issues, hopefully its sorted now if your gonna order one.

I know someone who went through the exact same thing actually. They ordered from Amazon and it took ages. It did, however, eventually arrive.

Shame to hear yours didn't!

Looking at the Brewster Beacon though, looks really good. How has it been?

I like the power adjustment in 100W increments!

My Klarstein order took forever and I cancelled in the end, now I'm happy doing BIAB in an 8 gallon pan I got off Gumtree.
Thought I might get some kegs with the money I was refunded but as I'm doing small batches have ended up bottling.

I know someone who went through the exact same thing actually. They ordered from Amazon and it took ages. It did, however, eventually arrive.

Shame to hear yours didn't!

Looking at the Brewster Beacon though, looks really good. How has it been?

I like the power adjustment in 100W increments!
Brilliant piece of kit. The mash temp holds steady and it comes to a rolling boil quickly. It feels solidly made and very straightforward to clean. Very happy with it and geterbrewed delivery was prompt and well packaged

Thanks, to everyone for the responses. Ended up going for a burco. Going to get all the other bits and pieces gradually over the next few weeks.

I have a Cygnet/Burco boiler. To go with it I have an Inkbird temperature controller, grain basket, plate chiller, and pump.

When it eventually dies I shall most likely buy another the same.

Mind me asking what your setup looks like? Where do you put the temperature probe, in the top or bottom of the boiler? Or somewhere in the pump loop?

Latest posts

Back