Kviek advice for current brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice regard Kviek. I did a Kviek brew before, without a heat source, but pitching the yeast at 38C and keeping the fermenter insulated to retain enough heat for the Kviek. That brew worked really well.

I am attempting to do the same with the current brew thats on, but it has gone quite differently. After 7 days, I expected the fermenation to be complete and I planned on adding the hops and finings. At this point, it had only gone from 1.051 OG to 1.024ish. This kit is supposed to come out at 5.5% so its clear that fermentation wasn't complete. At this point, it has cooled to room temperature. I left it for another 10 days because there was still some airlock activity.

The brew is now at a consistent 1.014 gravity, not dropping. The instructions say to bottle at 1.008, which is a lot lower. There is a possibility that I under pitched the Kviek, given that this is a higher abv beer than the last one. I used 1x11g packet.

My question is, is the gravity low enough to not worry and just get on with hops and bottling in 3 days, or do I need to repitch a small amount of a different strain of yeast to finish off the job?

Thanks for any help you can provide, this forum is an immense source of information for me.

1.014 isnt too bad, it will have some residual sweetness but with Kveik being quite dominant you wont notice it too much. If you can get the temp back up to its operating temp give it a go try that if not and its been stable at this level for over 3 days probably you can dry hop and package just be careful if you are bottle conditioning err on the lower side.

I would always recommend making a starter unless you are pitching one of those smack packs with billions of cells. dont just chuck dried yeast into your wort as you will kill a decent amount of the population ,at least hydrate it and best practice is making a starter with some dme or a mini mash.

1.014 isnt too bad, it will have some residual sweetness but with Kveik being quite dominant you wont notice it too much. If you can get the temp back up to its operating temp give it a go try that if not and its been stable at this level for over 3 days probably you can dry hop and package just be careful if you are bottle conditioning err on the lower side.

I would always recommend making a starter unless you are pitching one of those smack packs with billions of cells. dont just chuck dried yeast into your wort as you will kill a decent amount of the population ,at least hydrate it and best practice is making a starter with some dme or a mini mash.

Thanks for this reply. I usually hydrate the yeast when I am pitching in the first place. I will be bottle conditioning, so I appreciate you advice on erring on the lower side. There is still a fair amount of C02 bubbling out as well, so I definitely want to avoid bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back