LAB Open 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me right now...

3pne4m.png

Was that the IPA I had yesterday @Stu's Brews ?

Yeah it was. I didn't want to say beforehand in case it didn't deliver on my expectations.

Ironically, the Golden Ale that you preferred only scored 28 in the RAB Sour & Session Comp so that proves taste is absolutely subjective!

Yeah it was. I didn't want to say beforehand in case it didn't deliver on my expectations.

Ironically, the Golden Ale that you preferred only scored 28 in the RAB Sour & Session Comp so that proves taste is absolutely subjective!
That's interesting, my golden ale at RAB scored 29pts and I entered into LAB also so be interesting to see if the feedback is similar.

Sorry to be boring and repeat myself but as I dont Facebook can someone point me in the right direction to get my scores?

I've just remembered I was meant to do a Golden Ale swap with you! I've still got some in keg if you want to compare.
Yeah me too...the keg kicked last week..the bottles I sent to LAB were pretty the end . I was hoping it would finally drop clear as the keg matured but it never cleared.

Didn’t manage to taste any other forum members’ beers, but I have to say I didn’t taste a bad beer all afternoon. Which is fantastic but also slightly worrying!
Maybe you drank mine and didn’t realise. Or mine got kicked to the ‘do not try under any circumstances pile’ 😂

Sheets are up
My hazy oxidised 😞 Really need to get my counter pressure filling sorted - filled the bottles really fill this time out as well!

38 for the witbier. Happy with that. A little to much “lemony coriander herbal spice” which I already knew but the 2 competitions I’d entered previously told me I needed more spice so I went the opposite direction this time 😂

My hazy oxidised 😞 Really need to get my counter pressure filling sorted - filled the bottles really fill this time out as well!

38 for the witbier. Happy with that. A little to much “lemony coriander herbal spice” which I already knew but the 2 competitions I’d entered previously told me I needed more spice so I went the opposite direction this time 😂
Hazys were of a high standard. Last year they were terrible, even the winner tasted slightly oxidised.

I’m pretty sure I judged your wit. It was good, but could have been entered as a coriander beer 😁

Hazys were of a high standard. Last year they were terrible, even the winner tasted slightly oxidised.

I’m pretty sure I judged your wit. It was good, but could have been entered as a coriander beer 😁
I knew the moment I tasted it that I’d cocked up 😂. It completely masked the subtle esters from the yeast for starters.

First comp I entered it in 20g coriander, told it needed more, second comp 30g, told the same. Instead of just going up 5g at a time I took “inspiration” from a supposed award winning American and upped both the coriander and orange peel significantly. I’ll learn from that mistake!

I nearly didn’t enter it but didn’t really have anything to enter in its place so I’m pleased with my score.

My entry was disappointing. I expected the worse when I saw my package containing three bottle conditioned Blonde Ales on its side in the photo that was posted just a day or two before judging. Unsurprisingly described as Cloudy and murky. I’m going to have to rethink this for up and coming competitions. What do you guys do to prevent/mitigate this?

Latest posts

Back