Lager Than Life 2024

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Leon103 everything was blinded, and no one judged their own beer at any stage. After initial judging, the beers were re-blinded for the minibos, and reblinded again for the bos.

Gotta say it was really very professional - as we have come to expect from LAB events.

I fail to see how James Wilson wouldn't recognise his own beer whilst tasting it against half dozen others. I would be able to pick mine out and no expert. Just like I am able to pick out a beer from @dave_77 @Hoddy or Dan because i drink their beers often

I fail to see how James Wilson wouldn't recognise his own beer whilst tasting it against half dozen others
Do you know the BJCP competition rules? If you did then you would know that any judge must not judge their own beer. This is a BJCP sanctioned competition with international judges, not half a dozen people mailing you a beer for you to give feedback on.
A few of your statements have been quite slanderous, you might want to wind it in a little.

I fail to see how James Wilson wouldn't recognise his own beer whilst tasting it against half dozen others. I would be able to pick mine out and no expert. Just like I am able to pick out a beer from @dave_77 @Hoddy or Dan because i drink their beers often

Hi Leon. I didn't actually judge any beers until Best of Show and at that point I knew my beer was out of the running. Seems like Head Judge actually means Head of running around and sorting out logistical issues.

Judges and Stewards have always been allowed to enter the competitions. It's not ideal, but we'd lose a lot of very talented judges if we banned entrants from judging.

We make sure that nobody is judging on the table that has their beer, and all the judges take this very seriously. If there was even a whiff of cheating then everyone would know and we'd instantly lose any credibility we've spent years building.

Do you know the BJCP competition rules? If you did then you would know that any judge must not judge their own beer. This is a BJCP sanctioned competition with international judges, not half a dozen people mailing you a beer for you to give feedback on.
A few of your statements have been quite slanderous, you might want to wind it in a little.

It's fine, I get the concern. I'd highly encouraged anyone that has a concern to raise it, and better yet go and attend a local competition to help out and see how it's all run.

OK darling

Hi Leon. I didn't actually judge any beers until Best of Show and at that point I knew my beer was out of the running. Seems like Head Judge actually means Head of running around and sorting out logistical issues.

Judges and Stewards have always been allowed to enter the competitions. It's not ideal, but we'd lose a lot of very talented judges if we banned entrants from judging.

We make sure that nobody is judging on the table that has their beer, and all the judges take this very seriously. If there was even a whiff of cheating then everyone would know and we'd instantly lose any credibility we've spent years building.
That makes sense. Stick me down for a table next year.

Tough man joe

Was a great afternoon, what an amazing bunch organising it all, and some awesome beers there, of what I tasted there was a Dunkel that was outstanding, and a dark Czech lager that stood out for me.

Well, we need people to steward for LAB Open in May this year: https://competitions.londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/labopen/

Go to Register -> Steward.

Judges generally need to show that have recognition through some kind of formal sensory analysis and feedback program - BJCP, Cicerone etc.
1000035578.jpg

When this is fixed I will take a look. Away in May but hopefully it doesn't clash

View attachment 97337

When this is fixed I will take a look. Away in May but hopefully it doesn't clash

Looks like we're back.

We'll be doing most of the judging on Saturday 18th May, with morning and afternoon sessions. There will also be a judging session on Sunday 19th morning, and then the festival is in the afternoon where you can try every single entry, and following that will be the awards and prize giving. You're welcome to come along for as much or little as you like.

Stewards are there to provide assistance to the judges, mainly by bringing them the beer to be judged, keeping the scoresheets together and noting down the scores. You can also try the beers being judged and discuss with the judges to understand their process and what they're picking out.

Last edited:
Looks like we're back.

We'll be doing most of the judging on Saturday 18th May, with morning and afternoon sessions. There will also be a judging session on Sunday 19th morning, and then the festival is in the afternoon where you can try every single entry, and following that will be the awards and prize giving. You're welcome to come along for as much or little as you like.

Stewards are there to provide assistance to the judges, mainly by bringing them the beer to be judged, keeping the scoresheets together and noting down the scores. You can also try the beers being judged and discuss with the judges to understand their process and what they're picking out.
I return from Turkey on the 19th, gutted, I will look forward to the next one.

Latest posts

Back