Lager beer elderflower hybrid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting in the sun, watching the cricket and enjoying one of my elderflower ales. It's worth trying for sure, I only used dry type and although subtle, adds a nice touch. I'm quite jealous of you all who have easy access to fresh (though I could probably find some if I tried).

Bottled today. The Missus is not impressed but I think it's great. The taste is like the smell of elderflowers. It has the mouthfeel of lager from the lager malt.

Can't wait for it to be carbonated.

Rob, do you want me to send your sample this week or wait until it's carbonated ?

Bottled today. The Missus is not impressed but I think it's great. The taste is like the smell of elderflowers. It has the mouthfeel of lager from the lager malt.

Can't wait for it to be carbonated.

Rob, do you want me to send your sample this week or wait until it's carbonated ?

ahhhh woman. they just don't understand at all. im more than happy for you to send me one this week and I shall return the favour by sending you my raspberry blushing blonde lager when its kegged and bottled. I have however only just put it in the FV so it will be a few weeks yet. check my thread out.
www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54897

Well, tried a bottle last night - really nice :thumb:

The Missus still doesn't like it, she think it smells like cat pee (I get a faint hint if that from the flowers but for her it's the dominant aroma).

The taste is like the smell of elderflower for me.

I wonder if it's like the sprout thing.

Anyway I like it :smile:

Well, tried a bottle last night - really nice :thumb:

The Missus still doesn't like it, she think it smells like cat pee (I get a faint hint if that from the flowers but for her it's the dominant aroma).

The taste is like the smell of elderflower for me.

I wonder if it's like the sprout thing.

Anyway I like it :smile:

My other half reacts the same to Citra and Cascade. I don't understand it. I love them. she wrinkles up her face like I gave her something disgusting. Glad it worked out. I might crop my elderflower next year and dry them. This year it was covered, probably fifty or more heads. Now on the way to berries.

how much elderflower is the right amount for 23 litres?

Not sure if it's much help Rob but I've just done the Festival Summer Glory kit, it makes 23ltrs and comes with a 20g sachet of dried elderflowers which get thrown in right at the start and another ( 20g I think ) sachet of elderflower hops which get thrown in once fermentation has stopped. To be honest the smell could've put me off but I made it last year and enjoyed it so in they went :cheers:

Not sure if it's much help Rob but I've just done the Festival Summer Glory kit, it makes 23ltrs and comes with a 20g sachet of dried elderflowers which get thrown in right at the start and another ( 20g I think ) sachet of elderflower hops which get thrown in once fermentation has stopped. To be honest the smell could've put me off but I made it last year and enjoyed it so in they went :cheers:

ahhh interesting. I never knew you could get elderflower hops. I take it theirs a nice elderflower note in the beer then? or do you think you could of added more elderflower?

It's still bubbling away in the FV yet so won't know for a few weeks, can't really remember it from last year either.It was a special edition so only brewed it once but because of a lot of good reviews they've brought it back permanently.
From what i can remember I think it's very similar to Golden Stag but with the additions of the elderflowers. Will let you know when I crack one open

Typical northern thicko giving out wrong ifo.
Started to doubt myself so just had a look at the sachet and it says 25g hop pellets elderflower golden ale.
A quick google says the hops are crystal and cascade.
I is a idiot :oops:

Typical northern thicko giving out wrong ifo.
Started to doubt myself so just had a look at the sachet and it says 25g hop pellets elderflower golden ale.
A quick google says the hops are crystal and cascade.
I is a idiot :oops:

riiiiiiight well I wonder if its an elderflower flavouring??? or am I being a "northern thicko" ha ha

The one I opened was, nice head and fizz. Give it a squeeze.

yeh iv squeezed the bottle and theirs some resistance but its not hard? maybe its just the thin plastic of the water bottle. ill stick it in the fridge tomorrow and ill look to open it one evening next week after work. ill keep you posted. the raspberry lager by the way is coming on very well iv dry hopped with hall and theirs currently some saaz in the FV a quick taste today suggests it should (Dont quote me on this in case of horrendous embarrassment) be one fantastic beer lol. I checked the gravity today also and its sat at 1.010 so im not sure how much exactly its going to go if any more. ill keep an eye on it over the next few days. will hopefully have it bottled this week.

So I cracked open the bottle you sent me and im very impressed. Unfortunately it wasn't carbonated but I can certainly appreciate how it would have been if fully carbed however the flavour was brilliant and that note of elderflower was really nice. I found the beer quite full if you know what I mean. all in all im impressed and id be interested in making something like this myself. good job. ill inbox you when the raspberry lager is ready to post to you

So I cracked open the bottle you sent me and im very impressed. Unfortunately it wasn't carbonated but I can certainly appreciate how it would have been if fully carbed however the flavour was brilliant and that note of elderflower was really nice. I found the beer quite full if you know what I mean. all in all im impressed and id be interested in making something like this myself. good job. ill inbox you when the raspberry lager is ready to post to you

I'm quite surprised that the beer travels OK in the post. I'd have thought the yeast in the bottle would get all stirred up. Maybe someone brought it to you and handled it carefully.

I'm quite surprised that the beer travels OK in the post. I'd have thought the yeast in the bottle would get all stirred up. Maybe someone brought it to you and handled it carefully.

upon opening the box the bottle was cloudy but it cleared very well after a day or so. ill be sending you your bottle of raspberry lager next week

Me? :)

What did I do to deserve that? This place gets better and better.

ahhhhhhhhh ( awkward ) lol. unfortunately no. ill be sending twostage a bottle. but if you fancie a bottle swap we can come to some arrangement. iv currently got a raspberry blonde lager conditioning.

Latest posts

Back