lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt24

Reaction score
Hi what is the difference with lager yeast and ale yeast i know lager yeast needs to be at lower temps, but does it change the taste of the beer? or is the outcome pritty much the same? as im not really a real ale man and only really drink lager
is there any real ale kits that i should try which i would like?
thankyou

Lager yeasts (if used properly) produce a much cleaner beer. Part of that is the lower temps but you don't want all the esters and phenols that ale yeast can produce. Think of a nice fruity bitter or phenolic Belgian ale. You wouldn't want those flavours and aromas in your lager. The yeast is the primary driver of those characteristics.

What don't you like about real ale? There are plenty of other ale styles out there to try as well.

Baz

well i its more that i dont like bitter the smell and taste, but i didnt mind batemans summer lightening but that was more lager type, i like a nice crisp lager

Well, it could be any combination of things then: the hops, the yeast, the malt, that you don't like. If you prefer lagers then I'd say stick with them. You could brew an ale low in esters like a California Common or German Altbier both of which are brewed at much lower temps than standard ales. Or you could stick to brewing lagers. Unfortunately, they require a bit more effort such as temp control and extended lagering, to do properly.

Phettebs is spot on. Using an ale yeast gives ale flavours, lager yeast will (hopefully) give a clean lager flavour/finish but is tricky to brew and get really good results.

True lager yeast needs significantly lower temperatures under good control, they take longer to brew and longer to condition. Lager ideally needs a long period of cold conditioning. People often talk of cold conditioning at 5c or thereabouts.

A lot of lager kits use ale yeast, not lager yeast so if you want a "true lager" you'll have to buy separate yeast. If you have a cool room in your house, now is the time of year to ferment a lager without extra equipment.

Underground Joe said:
A lot of lager kits use ale yeast, not lager yeast so if you want a "true lager" you'll have to buy separate yeast. If you have a cool room in your house, now is the time of year to ferment a lager without extra equipment.

Or just buy a kit that comes with a true Lager yeast, like Cooper's Euro Lager or Cooper's Pilsner to name but two. Otherwise, agreed, now is the time to do Lager! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back