Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now i have temp control and have a free day tomorrow i thought i would do a lager so thought, the only problem i have is hops i have none of the noble hops, what else could i use, i was thinking
4500g larger malt
300g flaked maize
200g torrefied wheat
all suggestions welcome, hops i have in
cascade us, chinook, jester,pacifica, tradition, progress, and citra , yeast will be cml hell

I'd skip the wheat.
Hopwise I'd use the most bitter hop, than spice it up with something at the end of the boil.
Maybe add some caramalt, but I'm not sure that's true to the style, I'm just like that.

Last edited:
I've got some Pacifica that I haven't used yet. Hopslist says porter, Beer Maverick says pale ale to Belgian ale, all indicate orange flavour. High time I gave them a whirl, methinks. Not sure about a lager, though.
Has anyone tried this hop?

NZ Pilsner next time then athumb..
Can't get enough of NZ pilsners and pseudo at the moment. Got a pac gem/green bullet one to bottle and just bottled another with all wai-iti.
Have never used pacifica, though.

Is there are better name for pseudo-lagers than "pseudo-lager"? Its a bit of a mouthful and not really flattering of a style.

Can't get enough of NZ pilsners and pseudo at the moment. Got a pac gem/green bullet one to bottle and just bottled another with all wai-iti.
Have never used pacifica, though.

Is there are better name for pseudo-lagers than "pseudo-lager"? Its a bit of a mouthful and not really flattering of a style.
Some were along time ago someone made a beer and called it lager, why not make your own style just like the Americans did with our ipa's and pale ale's athumb..

Now i have temp control and have a free day tomorrow i thought i would do a lager so thought, the only problem i have is hops i have none of the noble hops, what else could i use, i was thinking
4500g larger malt
300g flaked maize
200g torrefied wheat
all suggestions welcome, hops i have in
cascade us, chinook, jester,pacifica, tradition, progress, and citra , yeast will be cml hell
Use whichever of these hops you like best. I just did an amber lager with cascades that came out good.

Some were along time ago someone made a beer and called it lager, why not make your own style just like the Americans did with our ipa's and pale ale's athumb..

Hi An, I like to call them Faux-Lagers, +1 love the NZ Pilsners, Garage Project 'PilsnThrills' is my favourite - Cheers
Solved the problem for you Ankoù.
Henceforth let pseudo or faux lager be known universally and exclusively throughout the entire universe as :
GPA
Which stands for God's Pure Ale
Which is an anagram of PSEUDO LAGER
thumb.

:groupdancing:

I've got some Pacifica that I haven't used yet. Hopslist says porter, Beer Maverick says pale ale to Belgian ale, all indicate orange flavour. High time I gave them a whirl, methinks. Not sure about a lager, though.
Has anyone tried this hop?
I have used Pacifica in combination with Eclipse in a rye IPA. It is definitely orange.

Latest posts

Back